Permanent TSB Consensus Fund

B

Bath Queen

A relative recently inherited a considerable sum. Basically he wanted to put the money away and use the yearly interest as an income - not touching the capital. A Permanent TSB advisor insisted that the best option for him was their consensus fund for 6 years. I've looked at the info online about the consensus fund and it looks risky enough to me. Does anyone know how secure the consensus fund is? Would the relative be better off with a high interest deposit account?

Basically he wanted to put the money away and use the yearly interest as an income - not touching the capital.

'It's deja vu all over again' Yogi Berra

If these are his only criteria for 'investment', then this is the wrong thing to do. Can you give any more detail on what was discussed ath the meeting?

Was he advised to invest the full amount of his inheritance in this product? What age is he?

He's in his fifties but he has some mental health problems - was on disability until he inherited the money. So he wanted to continue getting a steady income from the inheritance to replace his disability payments. He would be very cautious and definitely not into taking risk with regards to money.

From what I can gather the 'advisor' didn't really listen to what he said and persuaded him the Consensus fund was the way to go.

Disgraceful - yes.
Shocking - no unfortunately.

Whilst the fund describes itself as low risk it offers no regular income as was the initial criteria.

I see no reason why anyone in the in OPs relatives position wouldn't be better off finding the highest yielding Deposit account.

Problem now is that all the money is tied up in the fund. When he got the inheritance I told him to go see an independent advisor but instead he signed up to the first thing that was suggested by the TSB fellow.

Question now is Would it be better to try to cancel the Consensus fund at this stage?

Here's the section of the brochure related specifcally to charges and taking an income from the account
What are the charges?​
We take the following charges from your
investment. We use these charges to cover the cost
of setting up and running your investment.​
1 A fund charge each year​
This charge is equal to 1.75% a year of the value
of your Protected Consensus Fund.​
2 Early exit charge​
We assume that you will invest for the full
six years to take advantage of the capital
protection. If you cash in any of your
investment before the end of the six years,
you will have to pay the following charge on the
amount you cash in.
Year1 5%
Year2 5%
Year3 5%
Year4 3%
Year5 1%
Year6 1%​
Can I take an income?​
We recommend you invest for six years to benefit
from the capital protection. You can ask us to
automatically cash in up to 5% a year of the value of
your Protected Consensus Bond Series 3 to give
you an income. There is no early exit charge on any
income you take.
You can take your income every month, three
months, six months or year. If you want to take a
monthly income, we will pay it direct to your bank.
You should understand the following if you take
an income.​
•​
The level of your income will change each year.
This is because you are withdrawing part of the
value of your Protected Consensus Bond Series 3
each year. The fund value will change during
your investment period and could be less than
the original amount you invested.

•​
Your capital protected amount at the end of six
years will be reduced to take account of any
income you receive. For example, if you take
an income of 3% a year, your capital-protected
amount at the end of the six years will reduce
by 3% every year. The following table, using an
initial investment of
100,000, shows how
your capital-protected amount would reduce
if you took an income of 3% a year from the

value of your investment.

Problem now is that all the money is tied up in the fund. When he got the inheritance I told him to go see an independent advisor but instead he signed up to the first thing that was suggested by the TSB fellow.

Question now is Would it be better to try to cancel the Consensus fund at this stage?
Ring the manager of the branch explain the true details of the case, your relatives exact situation and "request" that the money be transfered to their highest yielding deposit account which allows regualr withdrawals ASAP with NO charge.

Do not cancel the fund, force them to transfer it to a more appropriate fund at their cost.

Back