Permanent TSB 5.89% AER 20 month term account

I was reading about that earlier, Has anyone any opinion of this account, they would like to share.

I was thinking of putting my savings into it as the rate is better than what I'm getting at moment.

It says on the web site that additioanl lodgements are not allowed and the minimum balance is €10,000, and that account interest is accrued daily and paid to the account on maturity

Just wondering though; is there a penalty if you make a withdrawal but still keep at least €10,000 in the account

Are PTSB like FA in not putting their account terms & conditions online for easy access?! :(

Just wondering though; is there a penalty if you make a withdrawal but still keep at least €10,000 in the account

Near the bottom it says

Fixed Rate customers receive an account opening letter, stating the amount invested, the term, the rate and the total investment (including credit interest) at maturity

and a bit further down

If withdrawals are made without giving sufficient notice (notice accounts) or before maturity (fixed accounts), early withdrawal charges will apply.

So it sounds like it's effectively fire and forget for 20 months.

10% gross rate (5.89% AER Fixed)
Minimum balance of €10,000
20 Month period
There is no restriction on the maximum lodgement
Available to personal and non-personal customers
Additional lodgements are not allowed
Account interest is accrued daily and paid to the account on maturity
Minimum opening balance of €5,000 Gross Rate of 7.25% (4.29% AER fixed) applies to accounts which have balances of €5,000 - €9,999.99

[broken link removed]

Can someone explain how 10% gross rate equates to 5.89% AER?
It doesnt sound right to me.

It's 10% over 20 months and 5.89% over any 12 month period of that 20 months. All interest paid at end, early withdrawal penalties apply.

Here's the maths.

10% = [1.0589^(20/12) - 1] * 100%

anyone know of a calculator that can show potential returns after 20 months for a specific amount invested?

It's really quite simple.

The net return (after DIRT) at the end of 20 months is 8% of the amount invested. DIRT takes away a fifth of the gross return.

e.g. €10,000 put in gets you €800 in interest after DIRT at maturity.
€20,000 returns €1,600 etc.

No additional lodgements are allowed so it's a straightforward calculation.

To compare with other products it's best to look at the AER figure.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that with interest rates likely to increase again, that a fixed term of a shorter period i.e. Anglo Irish 5.35% over 6 months, would be a better idea that for example PTSB's 20 month period?

As far as I understand it if you believe rates will go up again you need to very carefully weigh whether putting your money into a 20 month fixed rate is the best thing to do. Neither Anglo or Rabo have passed on the latest ECB rise. Assuming they do that and then in another 3 months or so pass on another rise if it happens and if they pass on the full rise on each occasion they'll be at or just above the AER of this product. That's a couple of ifs. I'm inclined to wait a few weeks to see what happens.

Thanks for the info GeneralZod,

I think a mixture of bad eyesight and lack of banking knowledge led to me not seeing all the small print.

Maybe i will hold off a bit longer, before committing to fixed.

Was in a branch recently, and this product is no longer on offer - apparently it was withdrawn on October 10th 2008.

Could be wrong, but I thought it was still listed on their web site more recently than that. Deleted from the fixed term list.

I noticed in the small print that after the 20 months, they will automatically re-invest the amount into another term account unless you tell them otherwise

Back