Permanent Health Insurance

The Grinder

When applying for Permanent Health Insurance you have to undergo a medical questionnaire except if you are offered PHI through a company group scheme. Company group schemes accept everybody regardless of health with no individual medical questionnaires.

If there are no health questionnaires then what if an employee has say a mild back condition when they joined the company. Years later the employee is unable to work because of the back problem has worsened. Will this employee get benefit from their company PHI? If they bought the policy in a private capacity I assume they wouldn’t get cover because they had the condition before the start of the policy.

Thanks

Re: Phi

The Grinder said:
Company group schemes accept everybody regardless of health with no individual medical questionnaires.

This is not the case in my personal experience. I had to do a medical for my employer's PHI cover and the underwriter insisted on certain exclusions due to certain past medical issues in the case of myself and another colleague. It was not possible to get cover for the excluded conditions even for a higher premium.

In a group PHI quote the u/w will offer a non selection limit. This is a level of benefit beneath which no medical details are required to ease administration.

If you are below this at entry and "actively at work" you are fine.

RS2K said:
In a group PHI quote the u/w will offer a non selection limit. This is a level of benefit beneath which no medical details are required to ease administration.
Can you explain the non selection limit in a bit more detail as I don't really get it from the above explanation... :eek:

Back