Percolation options

highlights

Hi!

Very new to this building game so please bear with me. My boyfriend and I hope to build on some land he owns but the land itself is basically marl and there is nt a lot of drainage/soakage. We have dug holes and did the recommended tests but we wont reach the requirements. What are our options at this point? Can we get a percolation tank regardless of the land suitability or will this site be a non runner?

Thanks for your help!

The biocycle unit is probably the best option when your land failed to pass the percolation test!

Hi HLs,

Welcome to AAM!

Ive moved this question from house buying to homes and gardens.

Have a look at the key post concerning septic tanks here. All these keyposts are listed in a sticky at the top of the forum.

aj

Thanks AJ! Newbie here!

Jolly man do you have any info on these tanks - am I right in thinking these are acceptable anywhere so percolation wont be an issue in our planning?

The puraflow from Bord na Mona is a good option for marginal sites

[broken link removed]

If you have got the report done (site suitability test by qualified person) send a copy off to BNM and see if their system will cope with the site.

You have to remember that a tank (septic or treatment) is one thing, and your percoalation is a series of drains laid in the ground.

Have a look at this list [broken link removed]

for WASTE WATER TREATMENT SYSTEMS AND SEPTIC TANKS and you will see the various products available.

If you soil conditions are marl as you say, it will more than likely be a condition the planning permission that a "raised percolation bed of 150 sq metres be installed in conjunction to the septic tank" Unfortunatelty the associated works don;t come cheap.

I have also hearrd of people getting top soil or good subsoil and importing into your percolation area. You can also extend your percolation drains or have more of them. Would talk to a company like BNM or envirocare give them the t values and they will give you options. I got a envirocare P6 unit with a pump to pump up to the percolation area for 4200 euros.

I had a similar problem when we built....finished 3 months ago ..and built on very boggy land. I put in a Balmoral waste treatment system supplied by Watercare and a raised bed Per. area. Colin Galligan was the sales man at watercare and was very helpful throughout.

[broken link removed]

Cost were the following :
WatercareTank €3,750.00 Pipes + Ajs €250.00 Protective mesh €140.00 Perculation AreaRaised Bed €2,100.00 4 loads topsoil €800.00 1 load washed stone €120.00............Total €7,160.00