percolation area leakage problems

bijou

OK, here's my problem: bought a new build moved in just before xmas, have noticed that there seems to be leakage of an oily looking substance coming from a couple of areas around the raised percolation. also there are 3 patches of gungy looking water surrounding the percolation.
we called the septic tank guy who came, looked and said the septic was fine and running perfectly however he looked at one of the pipes in the percolation and said they were the wrong type they should be perforated, what we have is not perforated just look like your normal drain pipes.
we have yet to try to contact the builder - he's very elusive...
can anybody advise how we should handle this? any advice would be welcome..... thanks
bijou

Tie the builder down (not literally !:) )to an answer if it's not what you wanna hear speak to your solicitor regarding the matter.

There is no doubt the wrong pipes have been used. As the septic tank guy says they should be perforated.. this allows the waste water to spread over a large area. Quite simply the septic tank / pipes arnt built to building regulations and you will prob have great difficulty if you ever try to sell your house, not to mention a serous sewage problem in the not too distant future. Contact the builder as a first to see his reponse but id imagine your going to end up getting a solictor and then an engineers report too. You should recover these costs from the builder or else threaten to sue as he is clearly in breach of contract and negleance.

we called the septic tank guy who came, looked and said the septic was fine and running perfectly however he looked at one of the pipes in the percolation and said they were the wrong type they should be perforated, what we have is not perforated just look like your normal drain pipes.

Of course he would say that and he may be correct.

A lot of distribution pipes from distribution boxes will start out as solid pipes (non perforated) and then be butted into perforated pipes at the designated start of the percolation area which may be x feet away. The reason for this is that it is difficult to get a trickle flow into a percolation pipe from a distribution box.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Builder is not answering the phone (shock/horror!!) will keep trying him tho. I think if I get no joy by next wednesday (it being easter an all:rolleyes: ) I'll get onto the solicitor. appreciate your advice on this.
Happy easter one and all :)
bijou

Back