People turning right

legend99

Why oh WHY do people turning right not move to the right hand side of the lane so that people going left can just go up the inside? It drives me nuts when you have people going right blocking up the left hand side of what is often a lane wide enough for 2 cars and then seeing those people practically going around an imaginary roundabout they have such a big turn to make....!!!!

The general driving quality of many drivers including road position, reacting to hazards, and driving appropriately for the weather and road conditions, is quite poor. Perversely, many of these poor drivers think that they are good drivers.

legend99 said:
Why oh WHY do people turning right not move to the right hand side of the lane so that people going left can just go up the inside?
This is one of my bugbears too! This is why it needs to be made compulsory for learners to take a specific number of lessons with an approved driving school before they are allowed to take their test.

Most people probably learn with a friend or relative and are not instructed on proper road use and regulations.

And why don't they indicate their intention to turn??? Many seem to think the indicator is to show what they are actually doing and just hit the indicator when turning the wheel.

delgirl said:
This is why it needs to be made compulsory for learners to take a specific number of lessons with an approved driving school before they are allowed to take their test.

Having learnt to drive just recently, I have to admit that the system should change. Where I come from, you are not allowed to drive until you pass your driving test, and in order to pass your test, you have to be enrolled with a driving school, whose instructors then decide when one is ready to take up the test...Then, once you pass, you have to display the L on the back of your car for a year and there is some speed restrictions as well..I think that the main problem here is a lot of young people not aware of the rules of the road behind the wheel, not even intending to sit their test in the near future, nor even getting proper training.

I had 10 lessons before buying my own car, and then when I got my appointment for the test, I booked another 4, and passes it without any problem. People keep telling me that that's unsual, which it might be, but if you learn properly, the test shouldn't be a problem, and probably waiting list will be reduced, and passing rate increased.

delgirl said:
This is why it needs to be made compulsory for learners to take a specific number of lessons with an approved driving school before they are allowed to take their test.

I would go further and have it that they had to have a certain level of professional instruction before being allowed buy a car or motorbike. And the current restrictions on a provisional licence should be enforced.

But sure then we'd need more Gardai and/or a Traffic Corps and that's a whole other thread ...

Back