People should respect the Posting Guideline to use the quote button sparingly

mathepac

8 Use the "quote" button sparingly
When replying to a post, use the "Post Reply" button or "Reply" button in preference to the “quote” button.

Quoting a very long post in its entirety makes the thread very cluttered

Only use the quote button to quote the bits directly relevant to your comments.

Do not quote the post immediately above your one.
I think this guideline merits a revisit. The boring repetition of long posts using the "Reply" Button is now the rule rather than the exception and there is no longer a "Post Reply" button.

One feature members may not be aware of is the ability to highlight say a paragraph, a phrase or a sentence from a long post they wish to comment on. Hold the right mouse button down and drag through the relevant section. Release the mouse button and a dialog box appears with two buttons "+Quote" and "Reply" Select "Reply" and the selected text appears in the input area at the bottom of the screen.

Another option, if it's possible in Zenfora customisation, is to change the reply button's behaviour to post a link to the original post, but **not** if it's the immediately preceding post.

Is there any way to give new posters a learner's permit and to "encourage" them to take a test on the basics of posting; i.e. select the correct forum, create a legible post, create a meaningful title, edit an existing post or title and only then be allowed to get a full poster's licence?

My own training has resulted in my being the model poster; no Bob Marleys (thread locks), no deleted posts and no lasting scars from feeling the edges of moderators' tongues.

Last edited:
I think this guideline merits a revisit. The boring repetition of long posts using the "Reply" Button is now the rule rather than the exception and there is no longer a "Post Reply" button.

One feature members may not be aware of is the ability to highlight say a paragraph, a phrase or a sentence from a long post they wish to comment on. Hold the right mouse button down and drag through the relevant section. Release the mouse button and a dialog box appears with two buttons "+Quote" and "Reply" Select "Reply and the selected text appears in the input area at the bottom of the screen.

Another option, if it's possible in Zenfora customisation, is to change the reply button's behaviour to post a link to the original post, but **not** if it's the immediately preceding post.

Is there any way to give new posters a learner's permit and to "encourage" them to take a test on the basics of posting; i.e. select the correct forum, create a legible post, create a meaningful title, edit an existing post or title and only then be allowed to get a full poster's licence?

My own training has resulted in my being the model poster; no Bob Marleys (thread locks), no deleted posts and no lasting scars from feeling the edges of moderators' tongues.

OK, I will update it for the +Quote and Reply button. Thanks for pointing it out.

It seems to cause a lot of problems.

Another thing, people do is to put their comment before the quote section making it very difficult to find out what they are saying.

Another thing site owners do is to ignore the posting guidelines, they spent ages compiling. :) :)

Another thing posters do, is having taken the trouble to quote the preceding post in its entirety, type their own comments inside the quoted post, consigning them to eternal oblivion. Take their provisional licences off them, put them back on bikes with crayons and paper. (Sorry about the bikes bit Boss).

Hold the right mouse button down and drag through the relevant section. Release the mouse button and a dialog box appears with two buttons "+Quote" and "Reply" Select "Reply and the selected text appears in the input area at the bottom of the screen.
I think you made a mistake here. You should have said "hold the left mouse button".
Please tell the Founder this, as he quoted your post in full while it was the immediately preceding post.

Hold the right mouse button down and drag through the relevant section. Release the mouse button and a dialog box appears with two buttons "+Quote" and "Reply" Select "Reply and the selected text appears in the input area at the bottom of the screen.

Cool. I didnt know that thanks !

Hi mathepac

I have written a guide to it here. Can you review it and suggest any changes.

I have tried to balance the need to cover the three options with the need to keep it short enough to read.

Brendan

Back