Pension Contribution Statement

lonelyplanet

I recently downloaded my Pension contribution statement from MyWelfare.ie and wondering if there is any guide on determining which contributions count for the purposes of entitlement to the state contributory pension.

Can anyone explain which of the following headings are counted for Pension entitlement Credited Contributions, Reckonable Paid Contribution for Pension, Reckonable Credited Contributions for Pension ..

Year: Year of contribution
Paid Contribution: 52A , 52S 52K
Credited Contributions : ??
Reckonable Paid Contribution for Pension: ??
Reckonable Credited Contributions for Pension : ??

Thanks ,
Lonelyplanet

The ones (payments or credits) that are in the reckonable for pension colum are the important ones.
Roughly speaking the total of those divided by your number of working years gives you a yearly average.
Working years means the number from you first started till you reach 66.

You need a yearly average of 48 for full pension. Anything less is part pension.
If you wish to give more detail a more accurate assessment could be made

Thanks Blacksheep.
Started working in 1990 but have been out of the country for approx 10 yrs..UK, Canada...Denmark
So have Reckonable Paid contributions for Pension: 841 contributions
Reckonable credited Contributions for Pension: 101

Thank you

Thanks Blacksheep.
Started working in 1990 but have been out of the country for approx 10 yrs..UK, Canada...Denmark
So have Reckonable Paid contributions for Pension: 841 contributions
Reckonable credited Contributions for Pension: 101

Thank you
Hi Lonelyplanet

I believe once you have payed Social contributions in the UK, Denmark these currently are covered by EU pension agreements and Irish Pension system got to take them into account. For Canada I believe their is Legal Agrement to honour payment in Ireland for Canada pension and Vica Versa for Ireland pension to take account of Canada contributions. So I believe they can be summed up to get to get your one pension.

You do not just add your EU contribution to your Irish contributions - the system is much more complicated than that

They will do two calculation
1. Calculate your pension based on only your Irish contributions - this is Irish pension amount
2. Calculate your pension based on your total Irish and EU contributions - then work out what % of your contributions were Irish and use this % to calculate the EU pension amount

You will get the greater of the two amounts

Remember, if you have contributions in other EU countries, you are eligible for a pension from them - they will do the same calculation as the Irish pension but obviously, using the rules of the pension scheme in each country

I do not know how Canadian contributions are taken into account, sorry

Last edited:
When you apply for your Irish pension they will follow up your EU entitlement and do the calculation of your combined entitlement. There's a section on the application form to enter your employment in other EU countries. If you have records of your contributions in the EU that would speed up the process. Otherwise make sure you have your PRSI number for those countries and at least the dates you worked there.

Same for Canada which I think is a separate Application

Back