pension contibutions from canada

taponavillus

i worked in canada for 4 years and paid into a pension plan.it was to be locked in till im 65. however on returning to ireland i went back to my old job and i retired from the public service and currently am getting a pension from my former employer . i have an arf. how could i transfer the money from the pension plan back to ireland. can anyone help with some advise

Are you 65 now? If so, presumably you can arrange to draw your pension from your Canadian employment. I know nothing about Canadian pensions but I know of many countries where you can draw a pension from overseas with no trouble. I doubt if Canada is any different.

If you're not yet 65 and just looking to move the accumulated pension fund from Canada to Ireland, you need to get in touch with the Canadian pension provider and ask them what requirements they have for transferring a pension fund to Ireland. They may have a list of conditions surrounding the pension vehicle into which you propose to transfer.

thank you,am not yet 65. contacted them and they say i can move the value of the benefit to a locked in retirement account (lira) but the fact that i have an arf,what other product could i transfer it intoand how.

You'll have to ask them to explain exactly what constitutes a Locked In Retirement Account, as such a term doesn't exist in Ireland, although there may be some products here which meet the criteria under a different name.

Back