penang or langkawi

blonde

hello. im thinking of going to malaysia in may for a holiday. we cant decide whether to go to penang or langkawi...both look stunning!

weve never been to malaysia so we dont no which would be nicer.
were looking for a beach holiday so if anyone has any ideas or preferences wed really appreciate your views on both.
thank you

Any particular reason you're thinking Malaysia? I would recommend Vietnam or Thailand a thousand times more as a destination than Malaysia, for beaches and for enjoyment.

Penang is Costa Del Anywhere, it feels just like any beach destination in the Med in a lot of ways. We went there as part of our honeymoon and regretted it big time. Really don't have a good word to say about it, hotel was dated, restaurants weren't great around the place.

Friends went to Langkawi and raved about it.

thanks a mill for your reply. alot of people turned us off so were going to dubai instead. thanks again

Good lord; at least Malaysia has some soul. Dubai is a shopping mall.

Haven't been to Dubai but did see a fair bit of Malaysia. With the exception of Borneo I wouldn't be rushing back. It said a lot when we went into the tourist office in KL and asked what they recommended to see and do and they said "shopping, just lots and lots of shopping"

Langkawi is much nicer island. Nothing to do in KL but shop.Nightlife in Malaysia is non existent. Was ok to vicit but wouldn't go back to Malaysia.

Forget Dubai...Langkawi is the way to go. I was there in 2007 and it was absolutely stunning. I still talk about it now! Pelangi Beach is where I stayed. There are better higher class hotels; however they are away from everywhere. Shesells, I did Borneo too and Langkawi beats it hands down (apart from jungle and orangutans). Have you been there? Blond, i would suggest that anyone who put you off has never been to Langkawi.