Penalty Points

elainem

Think I just got two more penalty points, bringing the total to eight - doing 125 on Motorway. Got four of penalty points two years ago for 65 in 60 zone and 87 in 80 slip road - so not crazy speeds, but still over the limit. These four points will be gone in August next year. I have an English licence so although I paid the fine, the points couldn't be applied to my licence. I drive about 4,000 to 5,000 km a month, some of it with work. My question is what if I manage to get four more penalty points between this and August, can they say I cannot drive with my English licence? Kind of worried, as besides the work issue, also need to ferry two small children around and to bring them up to Dublin to see their dad. Thanks. Elainem.

The points don't get put onto your UK licence so you won't get put off the road on that count. They do however get put onto your Irish record so when you change to an Irish licence they will show up.

Writing that, I think the question you should be asking is, will you be put off the road based on your irish records even though you don't have an irish licence. I don't know the answer to that but I think not, unless you change to an irish licence.

Be sure and inform your insurance company though.

In theory, it is possible for a Judge to ban you from driving for a period of time, if he/she thinks this is an appropriate penalty, regardless of whether or not you have an Irish license, or any license.

125 kph !! slow down girl. Even if your two children are not with you when you are driving, have a care for who may be in other vehicles on the road or otherwise using the road.

Firstly as others have said watch your speed and anything else that may cause you to get more penalty points. There is no requirement to change to an irish licence but they are looking at a system whereby penalty points can be applied to any EU licence but don't when that will be up and running.

Back