Penalty Points

kayla21

Does anyone know if you were overtaking on a hard shoulder and got caught (whoops), is this 2 penalty points, as this is what i got. I just checked the website there and its says for driving on the hard shoulder of a motorway it is 1 penalty point. Im assuming because i paid the fine and didnt contest this that i cant do anymore about this. I would be grateful for any replies.

Did you inside overtake on a hard sholder? I remember hearing that you can get banned for such an offence.

Presumably you got some notice of the offence in question? What was the specific wording used?

"Dangerous overtaking" is 2 points according to http://www.penaltypoints.ie/driving_offences.php (this).

When the fine/notice came in, it should have come telling you how many points you got - it's very clear, you now have X points on your license.

Does anyone know if you were overtaking on a hard shoulder and got caught (whoops), is this 2 penalty points, as this is what i got.

Did you inside overtake on a hard sholder? I remember hearing that you can get banned for such an offence.

If the OP means they overtook another car on the inside by driving on the hard shoulder I would consider that reckless at the least and more probably dangerous driving. I would not call that undertaking as to undertake one should at least be on the proper roadway not the hard shoulder. Even then I cringe when I see anyone undertaking, waiting for the driver in the right hand lane to move back to the left.

yes it was overtaking on the inside - i should check the exact offence stated on the documentation. Banned from driving ... Thanks, think the points did the trick for me

I believe you can legally overtake on the inside when the other car is waiting (for a break in oncoming traffic),to turn right, only when it is safe to do so, of course.

This is what is wrong with Irish Driving! And people think its ok!

Have you driven outside of Ireland much? A human in a car no matter where or who will do stupid/dangerous things now and again. ever been in Rome/Paris/ Kuala lumpar to name but a few.