Penalty Points

clareG

Can anybody confirm that 2 penalty points and on the spot fine are automatic if you are stopped by Gardai and do not have your driving licence in your possession.

Thanks

Interesting one. I had assumed that the penalty points were if you drove while not being licensed to drive, that the points would be given if and when you applied for a licence. That may not make sense, but I read you can get penalty points for applying while disqualified, so if you look at it that way ... ?

I think the OP is saying that they do have a driving licence just that it was not in their possession when stopped by the Gardaí. Am i correct in saying that ClareG?

From this http://www.penaltypoints.ie/licence_offences.php (list), it looks like it is only 1 point & fixed charge.

One point.... but not generally enfoced...

I was stoped before when it was in tax office been renewed and he took for word for it... not need to produce it at station or anything (ps. was the truth)

It was actually my sister GED and she did not have her licence with her but was told by the Guard this was the penalty but she was ok this time. I had never heard of this. Thanks for replies

Back