Penalty for returning hire car earlier than booked for ?

deli

Looking to hire a car in France soon and have just realised that the cost of the hire is significantly cheaper to hire it for 15 days rather than 14 days (€200 cheaper !!).
Does anyone know if I hire the car for 15 days and then just return it after 14days will I have a penalty to pay. From a quick scan on webpages, its not really that clear
Thanks in advance

If you hire a car for 15 days and return it earlier, there is no penalty. It's just a French thing. Well spotted.

Look at it this way:- Recently our local supermarket had a deal on cucumbers which they were selling at "less than half price." At the same time they were selling half cucumbers at a dearer price than the full cucumbers.

I hired a car at Birmingham airport and returned it a day early. Got a days refund also.

Quite happy so I was

HTH

thanks for that, another point i have just noticed is that the rates quoted on UK websites are also a lot cheaper than those available on Irish sites, however the UK site prices are only for UK residents. Price difference again is more than €200, ie £172 compared to €442 on Irish sites. Anyone know why ? Is it to do with insurance or is it another case of paddy price ?!!