Penalty for not paying for diesel

roytheboyo

I got a phone call from gardai to say that i am on cctv filling with diesel and not paying. I genuinely dont remember, but if on camera i must be guilty.
Meeting garda tomorrow, what do people reckon likely penalty is?
I dont need a lecture on the morality of not paying, it was a genuine mistake, end of.

Just be honest and open, view the cctv.

I did it once, mind was elsewhere luckily I realised what I did a few miles down the road and turned back and paid for petrol.

Perhaps you did something similar!

I've nearly done it once or twice. I'm sure its common enough. Be interesting to see what the Guard says.

Just be honest and open, view the cctv.

I did it once, mind was elsewhere luckily I realised what I did a few miles down the road and turned back and paid for petrol.

Perhaps you did something similar!

Thats all you can do I think. If cctv confirms you did it, you could point out your track record as a law abiding citizen and how given the fact you and your vehicle were in full view of cctv that it would be something only an insane person would do deliberately.

I got a phone call from gardai to say that i am on cctv filling with diesel and not paying. I genuinely dont remember, but if on camera i must be guilty.
Meeting garda tomorrow, what do people reckon likely penalty is?
I dont need a lecture on the morality of not paying, it was a genuine mistake, end of.

View the CCTV and make sure it's a) you and b) your car just in case it has been cloned or they've taken the number plate down wrong! This is going back a while now but an old neighbour of ours moved to Brighton from London and very rarely went more than 5 miles from there, their car plate was cloned and they started getting speed camera fines, congestion charge fines and the Police "popped round" to ask them why they kept driving off from petrol stations in North London!

If it was you then stress that it was a mistake and offer to make good the debt.

SSE

Happened to me once. Garda called to the house. Just had to call the service station and send up a cheque to them. The manager told me it had happened to them and they can tell the people who are geunine from the chancers

I think the service station owner will have a say on how he wants the case handled too - if you were asked at the counter did you get fuel and you answered in the negative and then subsequently you were proved to have got fuel without paying then I think you may be in deeper water.

It'll be very hard for you to prove that yoiu genuinely forgot especially if you were asked for the shop assistant.

OP, if you don't want a lecture on morality re paying and you have stated it was a genuine mistake, then you have more or less answered the thread. What else would you like from AAM - a quick fix in helping you prove you are innocent !!

What else would you like from AAM - a quick fix in helping you prove you are innocent !!

Perhaps he's looking for input from someone who has driven off without paying, as to what the consequences were in their case.
Maybe he figured that this was a forum where advice would be given.

I worked in a petrol station for a few weeks when in college and when this happened (it happens a lot) we simply called the Guards who took the reg number and contacted the owners. Generally the person just pays and its all done with - they're isnt a penalty unless you repeatedly refuse to pay.

A good point here is to be sure it was you and not just a wrong registration as that has happened before also.

And dont worry about it - its one of those things that genuinely happens from time to time!

Isn't this the whole purpose of AskAboutMoney?

Perhaps he's looking for input from someone who has driven off without paying, as to what the consequences were in their case.
Maybe he figured that this was a forum where advice would be given.

seantheman's response was in reply to mercman's contribution to the thread .... he was pointing that out to mercman.

Back