Penalty Charge Notice from the UK

anntionette

Hi is there anyone this has happened to that can shed some light on how this might go for me. I live in ireland a few months now but my car is still in the uk registered there and im bringing it back here next week. I got 2 PCNs in the post to my old UK address from october which i only just received , so its well out of date saying its £195 each now instead of 65. Ah yes the cars in my name and i was driving while visiting.

Not dangerous driving, speeding or DUI. Its says PCN for failing to comply with a sign indicating the vichular traffic must pass on the specified side of the sign. I basically passed a sign on the wrong side (its weird id never seen anything like this sign and im driving 30 years) so I got it wrong twice and got 2 PCNs from the council.

Ive tried calling the numbers on the fines and ive emailed them today but im stressing out now.

I do understand any points I get will go on my until now unblemished uk license so im not so concerned about that as being told i must pay the £400 or get summoned to court. or hid in Ireland and never visit UK again.? Legally whats the worst that can happen if they dont agree to the original fine £65 x 2 and i dont pay the £195 x2? AS it stands they only have my old uk address no license details or current irish address. Oh these things make me so nervous id rather have it sorted. but i think theres extenuating circumstances to be considered. I imagine the Uk fines systems is quite rigid. If i ignore it what happens?

Last edited:
Can you borrow the money or even pay one of the fines as they are unlikely to go away? Any response at all from the fine instigators since? Who is fining you, the council, DVLA (do they even do fines or just points?), cops? What's the offence you are charged with - dangerous driving, carlesss driving?

If you register the car in Ireland, put Irish plates on it, AFAIK it will not be detected by ANPR cameras in the UK for the old offences, even if the old offences are arrestable, but you personally are still liable for the to tickets.

OH and BTW, please do something to "paragraphatise" your post - it's a daunting looking slab at the moment and may put off some helpful posters, some of whom may even be less of a PITA than me!

Thank you I have amended the post to be clearer. Hope it is . Difficult with kids hanging off you.... ;) Looking at this again i think i would fight that the sign wasnt clear enough as the space to drive thru seemed too small for my van like car... i would like to write to them and argue my point. im an experienced driver and that particular signage stumped even me! and ive driven all over the world. Gave India a miss tho. I just feel its unfair but of course i would! :)

Antoinette, on your fine notices, you will see a link to appeal. Explain what happened, you moved abroad etc and you just recently got your mail forwarded to Ireland. They will just ask you to pay the original fines.

Antoinette, on your fine notices, you will see a link to appeal. Explain what happened, you moved abroad etc and you just recently got your mail forwarded to Ireland. They will just ask you to pay the original fines.

Hey thanks guys, that makes me feel a bit better and confident going forward to settle. I just put the notice 38jl into google and a ton of threads appeared about this particular stop! Apparently its the councils golden egg! catches newbies every time. I fell LESS stupid. loads of drivers in the same predicament as me regards being caught off guard as to what to do. Mostly all positively appealed. Tho getting away with it twice might prove difficult - You had to be there senario... :D

Decision 1 - am I guilty ?
Yes - proceed to mitigation.
No - consider appeal prospects. UK systems can be strict but appeals can be successful.

Time limits for appeal. You should be able to request liberty to lodge a late appeal where the notices have only now been received.
This should apply equally to appeal against "conviction" or mitigating the size of the penalty which rose due to the passage of time before you could reasonably and practically have dealt with the matter.

Be sure to deal with it definitively as if your car returns to the UK it is almost certain to appear on some official naughty list as some polite PC will inform you when they stop you !

Back