Pedometer

Jason_77

Hi All,

Does a Pedometer work as effectively for running as it does for walking?
Is there a setting to say what activity you are doing?

I know it gives a good reading for distance and steps for walking, but I have heard it does not do the same for running.

Does anyone know how they actually work?

Thanks.

Jason.

These are really only accurate in quantifying the number of steps taken ( walking or running).The accuracy for distance depends on your calibration of the length of stride which has a large margin of error no matter how you tweek it.As someone who has run nearly 100,000 miles in the last 30 years, the best calibration is simply take yourself down to the nearest running track ( or gym threadmill) and see how long it takes to run a mile at 3 paces, leisurely, medium and fast as possible. Then a pencil and paper is all you need to compute how far you have travelled! Anyway, experienced runners dont bother about distance - use TIME as the measure of performance and if you want to measure degree of fitness and/or energy expenditure , buy a heart rate monitor instead - which is an exact science!
Anyway enjoy it, and dont bother about pace
cheers

Thanks Runner,

Think I will buy myself a heart monitor instead.
I have my heart set on running the marathon next year, as I was prevented from doing it this year through injury, so want to guage my fitness over the next few months.

Thanks,

Jason.

Where is the best place to buy a Heart Monitor, and what price should I expect to pay for a mid-range one?

Back