Pedestrians walking on the road

ophelia

I know the footpaths are icy and slippy at the moment but I hate when pedestrians walk on the road. Don't they know that there is a chance a car could skid and knock them down. I would rather take my chances on the footpath and at worse fall on my bum, rather than have a vehicle crash into me. They don't even move in slightly when a car approaches, they stay about a metre out.

classic, complaining about pedestrians walking on the street because the footpaths are unusable when obviously the fault is with the City Council not bothering to grit said footpaths.

I've just sent a complaint mail to Irishrail as my local station platforms have been left covered in frozen slush since Friday with no effort whatsoever to remove any of it. Really poor.

there was an incident in portlaoise railway station last year where an elderly woman forced to rush to the next door down in a carriage (first door was locked!) slipped on icy platform and ended up under the train. Passengers had to leg it to the drivers carriage to stop him from leaving

I'm not talking about railway platforms, I'm talking about footpaths, and the dangers of walking on the road; even to the extent of walking out to overtake parked vans etc (some without even looking).

I don't really blame them if paths are slippy i mean they could just as easily slip and fall in front on you on the road. They should stop though when traffic is coming. Having has one nasty slip when pregnant I would agree that they should be doing something about the footpaths too.

Sandrat says 'i mean they could just as easily slip and fall in front on you on the road' my point exactly.
It would be logistically impossible to grit all the footpaths!

I meant they could just as easily slip on the slippery footpath and in front of you on the road. If the roads are gritted then they shouldnt be slippy

How could they fall onto the road if they are walking on the footpath - highly unlikely. Now if they are walking on the road and fall ...........!
Even on roads that were gritted, traffic was sliding and slipping alot.

How could they fall onto the road if they are walking on the footpath - highly unlikely. Now if they are walking on the road and fall ...........!
Even on roads that were gritted, traffic was sliding and slipping alot.

someone standing at the edge of the path waiting to cross could easily slip in front of a car. People should be driving slowly and using their gears to slow down rather than their brakes