PC to PC transfer

Maverick1983

Have 2 laptops here in work the one i have isnt as good as the spare one, does any1 know the handiest way of transfering data from one to the other, also the spare one seems to have lost its windows package will this have to be re-activated??

nah was lookin to transfer it across from one laptop to the other, probably need a USB connection between the 2.

Are they not both on a common network?

If not then if they both have enternet cards in them you can use a cross over cable.

Other options it they are non networkable would be transfer via plug and play hard drive (ipod etc) or by plug and play CD/DVD burner.

The simplest way is using a say 512MB USB flash drive, as an exchangeable disk drive. Needs no installation, is plug and play and you can even run application from it. Cost around 3o euro plus vat I think.
I use it all the time and find the handiest yoke Ive ever got!

Maverick1983 said:
Have 2 laptops here in work the one i have isnt as good as the spare one, does any1 know the handiest way of transfering data from one to the other
Null modem serial cable and HyperTerminal.

runner said:
The simplest way is using a say 512MB USB flash drive, as an exchangeable disk drive. Needs no installation, is plug and play and you can even run application from it. Cost around 3o euro plus vat I think.
I use it all the time and find the handiest yoke Ive ever got!

Yes I bought one to transfer data between PCs and found it very useful and quick. Was at a conference recently where I saved a powerpoint presentation on USB as abckup and a just in case where they had saved it on floppy. Of course no floppy drive on laptop and were very happy that I could oblige ! The person organising conference forgot their power pack and were they happy that ALL the presentations could be saved on to USb to transfer to another PC with power. It saved the day. Well worth the purchase. I bought mine from shop4memory.com (no link with them) for 30 odd euro. Great gadget and i carry it around in the car all the time.

Actually another way to effect the transfer without the need for new equipment/cables is to simply install the hard drive from one PC into the other and then copy the files over from C: to D: or whatever.

The latest edition of 'personal computer world' mag has a free CD including PCmover from Laplink, which will do a full replication Pc to Pc. Worth the 6 euro for this alone maybe?

If this is a disk cloning utility then [broken link removed] will do the same thing for free (no purchase necessary) at least for IDE (not SATA though :() drives. For example, if you have a failing drive or want to replace a working drive with a larger one you can clone from the former to the latter and then use a partition management utility (I tend to use QtParted under Kanotix) to expand any partitions on the drive to use up the additional space.

Clubman, the PCmover CD moves all applications and clones registry settings only. Its a 'once off 'utility that works from the pc it is initiallly installed on only with the passowrd supplied with the free edition. Have not tried it, as dont need it!
Just might be handier for some to have an actual CD to stick into the PC to kick start the job.

Back