PC taking 10 mins to boot up

Hurricane4

When I turn my PC on it takes over 10 mins to boot up. I tried to do a disk clean up but couldn't find it, deleted games etc I don't use. When I am on the Internet it's fast. Any suggestions please help don't know what to do now.

Thanks

Sounds so stupid - don't know what you mean , am absolute beginner

When I press Start shows all programs,games messenger, pictures etc -everything comes up waiting for me to click one. Is this what you mean?

When it starts and is running click start,run,type in"msconfig" without the commas.Click the startup tab and untick all the startup programs you don't need.When you do the restart tick the ignore box on the warning you receive and the system will start.

I suspect that the original poster really needs to get assistance from somebody with some technical expertise - the risk of exacerbating the problem when you don't know what you're doing is too high.

When I turn my PC on it takes over 10 mins to boot up. I tried to do a disk clean up but couldn't find it, deleted games etc I don't use. When I am on the Internet it's fast. Any suggestions please help don't know what to do now.

Thanks
When was the last time you defragmented your hard-drive?

I suspect that the original poster really needs to get assistance from somebody with some technical expertise - the risk of exacerbating the problem when you don't know what you're doing is too high.
Sorry ClubMan, Couldn't resist! ;)

When I turn my PC on it takes over 10 mins to boot up. I tried to do a disk clean up but couldn't find it, deleted games etc I don't use. When I am on the Internet it's fast. Any suggestions please help don't know what to do now.Thanks
Check for viruses?

Maybe the poster could let us know a few details about the type of PC they are using and how old it is? Are they currently using any anti-virus/firewall/anti-spyware program? How were the games deleted? Were they uninstalled or just deleted?

When it starts and is running click start,run,type in"msconfig" without the commas.Click the startup tab and untick all the startup programs you don't need.When you do the restart tick the ignore box on the warning you receive and the system will start.

I agrees with this post, i had a similar situation a few years back and the helpline said to do the exact same as Caff's comments.

Alternatively, how long do you have your PC, is it still under warranty or do you have a helpline you can ring, chances are they can walk you through the steps required to find the problem.

Caff - I did as you said and I found the computer was set to open start up with everything and it's mother so disabled them all and will re-enable the ones I need as I go along so thanks a million.

I am now starting up in about 4 mins however Skype and Windows Live Messenger seem to open before it lets me click onto the Internet - I checked and I don't have them pinned to the Start Menu. any suggestions?

I bought the computer(Packard Bell) almost a year ago but am told it's not covered by warranty. I have Norton Internet Security and it runs on Windows XP. We have 3 users on the system myself, dh and ds - maybe I have to do it for each one?.

All suggestions welcome and gratefully received - even sn@kebites

Last edited:
I am now starting up in about 4 mins however Skype and Windows Live Messenger seem to open before it lets me click onto the Internet - I checked and I don't have them pinned to the Start Menu. any suggestions?
In Skype, go to Tools, Options, General Settings and check off 'Start Skype when I start Windows'.

I think the only way to to stop Windows Live Messenger is to uninstall it (if you can, it's very 'sticky).

While your doing a PC tidy up....
I'd highly recommend the use of CCleaner (Crap Cleaner).

It's a cleaning utility that will assist in removing a lot of unwanted clutter from your machine. It's also got some handy features to help monitor what runs on startup and to assist in the removal of software (also removes unused dll files etc.).

Until you get used to it, be careful on what you tick to have "cleaned". It will wipe things like internet history, stored passwords etc. unless you uncheck the box telling it to clean IE/Firefox. (Personally I like removing passwords etc., but I know others who don't so thought I'd mention it)

It's amazing how much space temp files can take up on your PC without you being aware of it.

I don't use skype so I can't help you there.With Windows live messenger right click on the icon on the task bar a white box appears then click tools,options,preferences tab,untick"Run messenger when Windows starts" and untick"Allow messenger to run in background" another annoying beast put in its place!!! As another poster suggested did you defrag the hard drive recently?Its accessed by,start,all programs,accessories,system tools,disc defragmenter.When the program opens click on the c.drive and then click on defragment.Hope this helps.

Two rather simple suggestions for the non technical user.
1 Switch on computer and go make a cup of tea while waiting for computer to "warm up". Leave computer on all day. Use computer power save options to switch off monotor, hard drive etc after say 1 or 2 hours.
2 Try to hibernate rather than switch off if this works satisfactoraly. ( sometimes it doesent)

Was interested in this thread, as having a similar problem.
I did what you stated and have lots of 'things' in the startup tab, and am wondering how I will know if I need them or not, and if I 'unclick' them and I need them later how will I get them.
As far as I know I don't need any of them, or maybe I do.....
Lots of them are 'windows, microsoft...etc'

Help appreciated, please.

Was interested in this thread, as having a similar problem.
I did what you stated and have lots of 'things' in the startup tab, and am wondering how I will know if I need them or not, and if I 'unclick' them and I need them later how will I get them.
As far as I know I don't need any of them, or maybe I do.....
Lots of them are 'windows, microsoft...etc'

Help appreciated, please.
I would advise you to not touch the programs in the Windows directory. That's the ones located in "C:\WINDOWS\......" they are most likely to be needed.

I would only look at the ones in "C:\Programs" and other such locations, because they are most probably programs which have been installed manually by a user like yourself, eg, ituneshelp, QQT (quicktimetask)

If you do not recognise the name(s) under "Startup Item" or indeed don't remember installing it, it's probably better to be safe than sorry...

I googled any programs that were in the startup that I didn't understand.As snakebite says don't touch any c\windows or it could end in tears!!

Took 'caffs' advice and 'googled' all the letters first..... if they said I could do without I clicked it off..... and guess what.... my computer only takes about 30 seconds to come on.... how about that.
Hope it stays like this now.

Thanks.

Make sure you haven't disabled Norton also, this takes a long time to start up and could have been part of the problem

Last edited:
Back