PC running slow: Is it ok to have so many things running in msconfig service section.

dodo

PC is running a little slow.

I have nothing ticked in start up but in services in msconfig has 53 things running mostly from Microsoft Corporation about 47 and a couple from AVG, and a couple of unknown. Also there is about 30 things in status stating stopped.

I have loads of space on PC, have run a few anti viruss each week.

PC takes a while to start going when switched on, even open firefox can take a few minutes.

Re: msconfig ?

ok.... and?

not sure what you want us to do. We can't see what you are running. Maybe if you told us whats running we could tell you if it's dodgy, necessary or unnecessary.

You can always just google the names of the files that are listed in startup to see if they are genuine

Dodo, do you have any utilities like Glary, CCleaner etc?

If so run them, if not, download them and try them.

with nearly 50 startup processes running and 30 stopped there's some serious ccleaning to be done! Remove toolbars and other crap that you dont need from add remove programs. as said, use ccleaner and post a list of processes so we can see whats required and not once youre finished. Also, virusscan beforehand also.

Just to be clear everything in startup is disabled,the question relates is it ok to have so many thing's running in service section in msconfig, could anyone check there service tab in msconfig and see how many things are running ,would be appricated .

I have about 100 running and 30 stopped in Services, and about 20 ticked in Normal Startup and I'm flying without wings Cant understand how OP has nothing running in startup.

I've been doing a bit of research about things that run at startup and deffo leave anything in the Services tab that are 'Microsoft Corporation' alone unless your an 'High Priestess' of computerland.

sorry, I misread this -I took it to mean startup items, not services. In general, leave services alone. Yes, there can be a lot installed and a lot stopped. There may be rogue services but if there are, any compentent malware detection program like malwarebytes can detect and remote. My advice is to run ccleaner and clean out the system. Remove any programs you don't need or dont recognise and then run malwarebytes.