PC repair DIY

TarfHead

My 6yo DELL desktop is starting to get noisy & I think it is the fan. I recently came across an article about DIY PC maintenance that suggested DIY of the fan unit using a can of compressed air to clear out the accumulated dust, etc.

Would anyone here endorse, or recommend against, this approach ?

Chances are it is the bearings on the fan(s). I would just replace them or even the PSU. Beware non standard Dell PSUs. Blast then with air if you like, just stand well back or you will be covered with dust.

My 6yo DELL desktop is starting to get noisy & I think it is the fan.
Which fan? PSU? CPU? Chipset? Graphics card? Case?
I recently came across an article about DIY PC maintenance that suggested DIY of the fan unit using a can of compressed air to clear out the accumulated dust, etc.

Would anyone here endorse, or recommend against, this approach ?
If you have to ask then I would suggest that you leave it to somebody with the necessarily technical knowledge/expertise.

The fan of my laptop, near the CPU, was noisey a few months back. I stuck a paper clip into it and it solved the problem.
I have since removed the paper clip and the noise hasn't returned. I haven't bothered to check to see if the fan still works, I suspect it does since my computer still works.
(I back stuff up)

Are you sure that the paper clip might not have stopped the fan altogether and it is now broken meaning that your CPU may well overheat and burn out soon?

Which fan? PSU? CPU? Chipset? Graphics card? Case?

Eh, the one making the noise, which I won't know until I get around to opening the casing.

If you have to ask then I would suggest that you leave it to somebody with the necessarily technical knowledge/expertise.

or if it's something obvious, like 6yo dust bunnies, I'll do it myself.

For a 6yo DELL worth nothing, whats to lose. Unplug it and blow out all the dust. If its a desktop you probably can use a small brush and not bother with compressed air. compressed air is handy for laptops etc.

To close ..

Opened up the chassis at the weekend. Cleared out most of the dust with a domestic 'feather' duster and used compressed air for the 'tighter' spots. PC is back up and running and is no longer noisy.

Thanks for the advice offered.

You could argue that we should prefix every IT thread/reply with "take a backup of your data". Your data/PC could be stolen, corrupted etc, at any time of the day/night.

I was responding to the general comment 'For a 6yo DELL worth nothing, whats to lose.'

The hard disk is unlikely to be affected in this situation.

I've accidentally blown a hard drive (smoke etc) in the past when tinkering around inside the case (admittedly I was too lazy to shut it down because it was an old machine).

You could argue that we should prefix every IT thread/reply with "take a backup of your data". Your data/PC could be stolen, corrupted etc, at any time of the day/night.

Sure, but there's a higher likelihood of something going wrong if you start messing around with the machine.

Who knows what the OP might have done when he opened the case. To have asked the question in the first place suggests OP is a novice.

I've accidentally blown a hard drive (smoke etc) in the past when tinkering around inside the case (admittedly I was too lazy to shut it down because it was an old machine).
Well I was assuming enough common sense to know that you should isolate a PC from the mains when opening it up and tinkering with it!
Who knows what the OP might have done when he opened the case. To have asked the question in the first place suggests OP is a novice.
True.

Sure, but there's a higher likelihood of something going wrong if you start messing around with the machine....

Of course you're right. But how many times should you have to remind people to back up. If you've been using a computer for 6yrs and have important data on it that should be backed up and isn't perhaps the only way to learn is to PZZTTTT.... NOOOOoooooo.....

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1143b.html