PC Not Picking Up New Hardware

IrishGunner

Parents BB modem seems to be acting up and I have a Zyxel Prestige 600 spare
I got it from utv ages ago but have lost the cd with the instructions and drivers on it

Inserted it onto front then back Usb to Pc but would not pick it up?? Downloaded the drivers from the Zyxel website and loaded them up but nothing

Went into Control Panel to add new hardware but still no joy

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks

Presumably Windows? What version? Are you sure that you have the correct drivers for your version of Windows and the model of router? Do the router and PC have ethernet that you could use instead? Did you install the drivers first before connecting the device (sometimes this can matter)? Does the device appear as unrecognised or not working in Device Manager? Do you get any events in the Windows Event Log?

Yes its windows xp. Checked the zyxel website and no drivers for the 600 series but googled it and drivers for 630 should work. Installed the drivers first. Will check to see If I have a ethernet connection around the house.

How can I check it in Device Manager and what should I be looking for? Usually when I connect a new hardware to Pc it comes up in the taskbar but not on this occasion ?

Right mouse click on 'My Computer' and go to 'Manage'. See if you can find any devices with a yellow exclamation mark beside them. If one of them refers to your device then right mouse click on it and try reinstall (or uninstall)...

Right mouse click on 'My Computer' and go to 'Manage'. See if you can find any devices with a yellow exclamation mark beside them. If one of them refers to your device then right mouse click on it and try reinstall (or uninstall)...

Did this and it had the exclamation mark beside it. Deleted it and then inserted the usb cable in and it picked it up. Had the drivers installed and it just came up with a grey box with progressing update still there after half an hour ?
Modem does not have an ethernet connection so cannot try that

Downloaded the drivers and and ran the set up. Then windows searched for the drivers but could not find them? Did it manually and browsed to the files I downloaded but still could not find them

Bit lost now ?

I would reckon theres a problem with the drivers - from what you're saying they didn't seem to install correctly. Are you positive you have the correct drivers?