PC Freezing

Randy

Hi, hope someone can help,

I am using a Dell 5100 pc. Over the last couple of weeks I'm noticing that it freezes a couple of times a day and the only way that I can re-access it is to switch off the mains power and then back on again. I defragmented the files, but the problem still occurs. My anti-virus software is up to date with scans carried out every day and live updates carried out each day also. The scans always report back that no viruses etc have been found so I am at a loss as to what the problem may be or how to cure it.

Any suggestions?

does the Pc just froze and not going anywhere? its good to wait around to see what exactly the problem was...maybe its a program stucked and stopped other program to proceed and therefore the pc frozen.
last and easiet fix is to reinstall the pc...make sure u back up wat u need though

Does it happen when you are playing Games or just working on it??
A few things to check are:
Is ur PC in an enclosed space?? If so it could be Overheating
Is ur Hard Drive space approaching full??
If gaming before Ur Graphics Card could have overheated.
Only some suggestions but ur probably aok on all the above..

G

put in on a radiator on in an oven and remote connect to it with Netsupport software?
(i know it's bad, but it's friday, and could not resist, sorry...)

Thanks guys,

in answer to your scenarios Breener, they would all answer NO

it occurs completely randomly sometimes when there are no programmes open, sometimes while working.....weird!

put in on a radiator on in an oven and remote connect to it with Netsupport software?
(i know it's bad, but it's friday, and could not resist, sorry...)

excellent suggestion Bacchus........you must have been up early this morning....you're on top form!

TRY ctrl+alt+del and see what program is running on background.

sounds more like somehting running on the background and maybe its alien program, even try uninstall the program u don't need.

do u download stuff from internet? if not chances of virus or spyware is low.

Did anything significant change between it working OK and these problems arising - e.g. hardware/software changes?

See the "clean PC" thread and maybe check for non virus malware since a single virus checker may not detect all problems.

Open the PC up (while isolated from the mains!), take the usual ESD precautions and try gently (!) reseating all (e.g. PCI) expansion cards and memory DIMMs just in case anything has worked loose.

Check the Windows Event Log in case there are any clues in there.

Try running [broken link removed] to see if it can detect any problems.

Try a Windows repair install.