PC electricity use

lipso

Would anyone know what electricity a PC uses per day in money terms (in a domestic household), its used for gaming for about 10-12 hours per day

just check sticker/plate on back of your PC CPU for wattage in kW or the manual.

eg. if it is 100W that means it uses 100 watts per hour.

ESB charges €0.1838 standard inc VAT for 1 kWhour which is 1000 watts for one hour.

So, if PC uses 100W an hour, that would be €0.01838 per hour.

I looked up DELL.IE, the only desktop PC I looked at uses 300Watts per hour,

You could also include the watts used by monitor per hour.

So thats €0.55 per 10 hour day for a desktop?

€0.01838 x 3 x 10 in other words.

€16.50 for 30 days.

Good to know.

ONQ.

just check sticker/plate on back of your PC CPU for wattage in kW or the manual.

eg. if it is 100W that means it uses 100 watts per hour.

ESB charges €0.1838 standard inc VAT for 1 kWhour which is 1000 watts for one hour.

So, if PC uses 100W an hour, that would be €0.01838 per hour.

I looked up DELL.IE, the only desktop PC I looked at uses 300Watts per hour,

You could also include the watts used by monitor per hour.

Not quite as simple as that Steiner.
If a device is rated at 100W then it uses 100W every instant (if on full load) it is on and not a 100W every hour as you state.

However most desktop PCs have a PSU (power supply unit) rated between 200 - 300 Watts and depending on ancillaries, such as, Hard drives/Lan cards/Graphic cards/Firewire cards/Ram/USB devices etc. and very importantly processor and processor loads the power usage fluctuates greatly.
What is generally written on the back of PCs is the maximum rated power output of its PSU.
Without knowing a lot more about the OP's setup it is not possible to calculate the power usage with any degree of useful accuracy.

Modern Gaming rigs, if playing MW3, Skyrim on high settings etc, will have +500W power supplies, the upside is most of the power is converted to heat, not so good for the machine, but good for your toes :)

If your gaming is only pulling 100W, then you're just playing browser games, facebook games etc.

Don't forget you need to factor in the power your screen uses too -
19" LCD : 17-31 watts
20-24" LCD : 18-72 watts

Last edited:
Back