PC Bootup problem

The Pool Boy

Hi guys

I have a small problem when I boot up my PC. it's nothing critical but's it's annoying. Everytime I switch on my PC, Windows Media Player launches, but then gets an error not responding message and I have to quit it.

I don't use Windows Media Player at all, my default is Musicmatch, but Windows Media Player will work if i need it.

Also Windows Messenger comes on each time I start up and has to be closed. i never use this and would like to delete it but can't find the program.

Ideally I'd like neither to pop up. How can I stop them,bearing in mind I don't want to delete Windows Media Player from the PC...

Thanks.

Maybe [broken link removed] might help?

These Google search results might help on the Messenger issue:

although I seem to recall being able to disable it starting up automatically without editing the registry but I could be wrong.

Warning: only edit your registry or disable startup applications/services etc. if you know what you're doing or are confident that you can recover from problems that might occur (e.g. using Safe Mode booting etc.)

Thanks for that...I've downloaded the startup control panel file to my portable memory and will load it up tonight......