Pc and Mac home wireless broadband kit

brk

Hi,
We have chorus broadband and due to changes in work we would like to be able to 'wire 'the house for wireless connections. I would prefer to buy a kit rather than spend money on getting wireless broadband as we'll be moving soon again.
Our problem is that was have a Mac (latest version), MAc OS9 laptop, PC laptop (XP).
Is it possible to have these wireless ? We can use one for networking. Sorry completely non techno on this.
We're based in Cork so if you know a good computer store that would be great also.
Ta if you get my meaning above!

I would prefer to buy a kit rather than spend money on getting wireless broadband as we'll be moving soon again.
You seem to be confusing wireless broadband (i.e. broadband delivered wirelessly to the site - e.g. Irish Broadband, some Magnet services, DigiWeb satellite etc.) with wireless local area networking (i.e. a LAN based partly or fully on 802.11 wireless networking). Note that these are two separate solutions that do not depend on each other. For example you could have wireless broadband and a wired LAN or wired broadband and a wireless LAN.
Our problem is that was have a Mac (latest version), MAc OS9 laptop, PC laptop (XP).
Is it possible to have these wireless ?
Yes - you just need a wireless adaptor of some sort for each machine.

I'm not really sure, like Clubman, what exactly you are trying to do from the original post, but I can recommend the following suppliers in Cork that I have personally found provide good service over a period of years (also Micromail are super but sell books and software mainly).

For wireless broadband connections (ie the Internet into your house without any wires) AHC Networks Enniskeane (Donal O'Hare) but he only covers certain areas.

For advice, installation, getting in odd bits of hardware and software on PCs and networking, Compunet (Bill Maher).

For anything to do with Apples it's getting thin on the ground since Ark Enterprise went, but as the Apple website is pretty comprehensive, you probably won't need help with anything except trying to get bits for your old OS9 Mac.

If you can explain a bit more exactly what you want to do (why the network?) then perhaps we can make more suggestions. I think wireless networks are great, easy to install and very flexible if you purchase a router or a hub which will also take an ethernet wired connection for the old OS9 Mac and most do (have a look, I bet there is an ethernet wired connection on that Mac, just plug and go...), and perhaps for connecting to your printer if that is one thing that you want to share between the computers.

All the best

Imogen (Mac owner since 1985; PC owner since 1987...)