Paypal identity resolution - US to Ireland transfers

Max Johnson

I moved to the US from Ireland last year and have been using Paypal to transfer money to my AIB account to pay off some outstanding bills.
I use one Paypal account for my US bank account and one for my AIB.

Today I hit a €2,500 limit and Paypal have asked me to identify myself.
They want an identity card (passport etc.) and a physical address ID (utility bill, bank statement etc.) faxed to them.
I am more than happy to do this.
My question is, will it matter if I provide a US physical address rather than an Irish one?
Are there tax implications or something unforeseen that I have not considered? I'm worried I'm opening myself up to something that will cost me. I would then consider bank drafts or other methods.

The notice from Paypal said that the information was needed to comply with EU money laundering legislation.
I could probably get something with my Irish address but would rather be above board.

I did a search before posting this. I would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

--Max

From Paypal

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

09-Mar-2012: You have received €2,500 or more in total payments to your PayPal account in this calendar year. PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they reach this limit. Until you provide us with the information we need your account will be limited. You won't be able to send or withdraw any money using PayPal, however, you may still be able to receive payments. Please go to the Resolution Centre for more information on what you need to do. When PayPal limits an account, your funds may be held until we've confirmed your identification as per the User Agreement.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-***-***-***-***.)

Please send some additional information
We need some documents to confirm your identity.

Please send PayPal copies of the following items to help confirm your identity to comply with EU regulations:

• A valid photo ID for account holder such as: National ID card, Passport, Driving License, Official government issued Photo ID (Army, Police, Diplomatic), or Residency Permit
  • Proof of address, such as a postal bank statement*, a postal credit card statement,* a mobile phone bill**, an online utility bill or financial statement**, a driving license issued in the last 12 months (different than the one used to confirm your identity), or a National ID Card issued in last 12 months (different than the one used to confirm your identity)
* Financial institution can differ from those listed in your PayPal account

** Must include logo of institution, your name, physical address, a valid date of issue (date may be present in recent transactions or as part of "last log in"), and transactions (if a bank account statement)

We take your privacy seriously. Any personal identifying information you submit to PayPal remains private, secure and is only shared with a third party when required by law.

Again, any help appreciated.

I use one Paypal account for my US bank account and one for my AIB.
Be very carefull here. PayPal policy strictly prohibits anyone to have more than one account, with exception of one busness and one personal. Admiting to PayPal that you have two accounts will very likely to result in immediate unreversible ban for you on PayPal (and probably eBay).

It will matter is it Irish or US proof of address, you will have much better chance to get account unblocked by providing the one which matches address of the PayPal account in regard to which you got e-mail from PayPal.

Money laundering is a very serious thing and companies like PayPal and Western Union are supervised more so that banks etc... as they are known to be open to abuse.

As McSim says, the information you provide should match the account, but you should also work on the assumption that the information you give will be physically checked.

Be very carefull here. PayPal policy strictly prohibits anyone to have more than one account, with exception of one busness and one personal. Admiting to PayPal that you have two accounts will very likely to result in immediate unreversible ban for you on PayPal (and probably eBay).

It will matter is it Irish or US proof of address, you will have much better chance to get account unblocked by providing the one which matches address of the PayPal account in regard to which you got e-mail from PayPal.

Money laundering is a very serious thing and companies like PayPal and Western Union are supervised more so that banks etc... as they are known to be open to abuse.

As McSim says, the information you provide should match the account, but you should also work on the assumption that the information you give will be physically checked.

Thank you both for this. It has been very helpful.

I resolved all issues with Paypal.

They are actually surprisingly easy to get on the phone, which surprised me.

Thanks again

--Max

Back