PayPal changed funding method without consent

ATC110

Has anyone had a problem with PayPal changing the funding source of their account without permission?

MyPayPal account is funded by my virtual Revolut card for eBay purchases in GBP.

I have made a few eBay purchases in the last few months without an issue and the GBP amount was taken from my Revolut virtual card GBP balance.

For transferring money from eBay sales into my Revolut account, I also have the Revolut account IBAN/BIC for EUR transfers from PayPal to Revolut and Sort Code/Account number for GBP transfers from PayPal to Revolut.

I made an eBay purchase yesterday in GBP, as usual, but noted PayPal exchanged the EUR equivalent in to GBP using their own exchange rate, despite there being a GBP balance in my Revolut account.

On PayPal, I have noticed the funding source was my Revolut account rather than the virtual card (both are the same Revolut account) which seems to have prompted a EURO to GBP exchange rather than using the virtual card number which just debits my GBP balance.

In PayPal the virtual Revolut card is listed as my "preferred" payment method but the Revolut account number has been used instead.

I did not change the funding source from Revolut virtual card to Revolut card.

The payment should have been made in GBP only as it was in the previous GBP purchases.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I had a similar experience with my revolut card. I was purchasing from a UK supplier, and had the funds in my GBP account. The transaction kept trying to take the money from my Euro account (which failed as I didn't have enough funds in it). On investigation, I found that some suppliers use a retail (possibly 3rd party) visa machine, that will default to charging in Euro, depending on the card. Or possibly the retailer, knowing you are in Ireland, is choosing Euro as the currency. So the problem may be with the retailer, not Paypal.

Back