Paying tax on welfare income I no longer receive

pennywise

Hi

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. From June 2016 to September 2017, I took a carer break to look after my autistic child. I received care benefit, which is taxable.
I went back to work in September 2017, and payment ceased, which is normal. However, it appears that the Revenue has not updated my file and the income still appears under my P21 for 2018, and 2019. I realised when I applied for health tax credits for 2018. I called Revenue, they asked for a statement from the Social protection department. I got one that covered until September 2017, sent it, Revenue came back to me after 5 weeks to say they needed one for 2018. Called Social protection, they can't issue a statement as there was no payment. I asked can they send a letter to state my payments stopped in September 2017, they can't. Revenue won't budge, so I'm still paying taxes and can't get my overpayment back.

Who can I contact for this? I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall

Thanks

Similar thing happened to my wife. She moved from illness benefit to Invalidity pension to State pension. Her state pension started in March this year on her 66th birthday.
She is being taxed as if she was on her state pension from the 1st January and not the end of March. She is also being taxed on Invalidity pension and illness benefit which she no longer receives.
We contacted Revenue. Even though they have her date of birth of file that showed she turned 66 in late March they would not accept our word for it.
We have had to make three phone calls to State Pensions, Invalidity Pensions and Illness Benefit sections of the Dept. of Social welfare to get separate statements of amounts received and dates received.

Thanks. I eventually went to my local Intreo office and they provided me with a statement for all payments from the Dep of Social protection. Since there is no payment for carers, it should be ok to prove that I'm no longer in receipt of this. I hope so!

Back