Paying solicitor fees.

K

Kanlip69

I'm sorry if this is not the correct area to post. Anyway, my father passed away on the 28th of October. My mother had already passed. I am a student and find myself landed with fees for solicitor and no way to pay them. My father's estate included the house which has been left to me. He had a car, small amount of money saved and thats about it. He didn't have life assurance so we have had to pay for everything. This is all new to me so I'm not sure what to do. What is the usual procedure? The fees look like reaching close to 10,000 euros.

I would be so grateful if someone could help me with this. I am very concerned about how I'm going to pay all of this.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unless there is going to be a CAT liability it might be an idea not to take out a grant to your father's estate at all at this time. You really only need to do this if you intend to sell the house in the near future. And obviously at some point you will have to take out the grant to get the house in your name if you are going to keep it. But you could just delay it for a few years until you are in a better position to pay. Also as Ubi said you are quite entitled to shop around for more competitive fees if you are the executor.

Its not clear if a solicitor has been engaged yet. And if not, OP could deal with the estate themselves.

mf

Kanlip69 - I am sorry to hear about your loss. Regardless of the solutions you come to, to give yourself some, tell the solicitor (or any other creditors) you'll sort them our, but will get back to them after Christmas.

My view is that the fees look a little high and may not yet be negotiated, but I think the problem still remains: there will be fees of some sort to pay.

The two obvious ones I can think of are:
1) sell the car;
2) rent a room or two in the house and pay the fees in instalments.