Paying Credit Card Company by Cheque

FredBloggs

I normally pay off my credit card by online banking. For the past year or so I've gotten my statements through online banking so I haven't received paperwork and therefore haven't got the payment slip they send attached to the statement each month. I'm going on holidays coinciding with my next payment date and in case I'm not near a pc (hopefully won't be!) I wanted to leave a cheque with my brother to post in when it falls due. I checked the e-statement and there isn't a payment slip on it you can print off so I phoned the cc provider and asked them how do I pay by cheque. They said write your account number on the back of the cheque and also sign the back of the cheque. I asked why should I sign the back of the cheque and they said so we'll know its from you. I pointed out that I would be signing the front of the cheque and surely this would do. After a few moments they came back and said that would be fine. Does anyone know why they mentioned the back of the cheque being signed? It seemed like a stock answer

Not sure about that.

To offer another suggestion though, with my bank I can schedule a payment for a later date, have you checked if you can do that?

Good point Bubbly Scot. Banking with BOI allows later payment schedule on-line. Other banks may offer it too
Nicola

Not sure about that.

To offer another suggestion though, with my bank I can schedule a payment for a later date, have you checked if you can do that?

I'll check it out. I'm with AIB. They seemd to think that I was paying with a third party cheque and I'm wondering if my signature on back has something to do with that. Funny I never mentioned a 3rd party chq

Assuming the cheque isn't issued by the same financial institute as the CC, a signature is not going to help match the cheque to your CC account - for a start many signatures are not legible and if your name is for example John Smith, which John Smith out of the 100 John Smiths with CC accounts? At the very least you need CC account details on back of cheque or attached to it or something.

Can you not prepay your credit card or make an online payment with a future date?

Can you not prepay your credit card or make an online payment with a future date?

As per earlier post I'll check this out. what i couldn't figure was their preocupation with me signing the back of the cheque. I understand you need to put your account number on the back but I couldn't fathom the reason for the signature. As I said I reckon they thought I would be using a third party cheque - their answer seemed to be designed for this situation. Are there many people who pay CCs by 3rd party cheque? What is the reason for the signature? Something to do with money laundering?

I will pay online as suggested with payment going through on the due date - which should be possible. I'm just curious why they mentioned the signature.