Paying credit card bill early

• Thread starter clueless247
  • Start date
C

clueless247

Hi,

This might be a stupid question but I have a credit card with BOI with a small enough limit that gets paid by direct debit at the end of the month. I don't have much credit left on it, want to use it but the direct debit isn't for a few weeks. Can I pay it early to free up credit or would this interfere with the direct debit?

I have a similar arrangement with my credit card (AIB) and I regularly pay it before the direct debit is due. Check your terms and conditions but it should not be a problem, provided the account from which the direct debit is paid is also BOI.

If you pay the balance and the direct debit subsequently goes through, it will mean the card is in credit in your favour - you won't lose anything.

It won't interfere with your DD, you can make payments to it as many times as you like

Once you lodge enough to meet the minimum payment due, then the DD will not be called.

If you have a 100% DD (Full payment deducted each statement cycle), and do not lodge enough to cover the full balance, then the difference will be your DD amount for that cycle.