Paying childminder through limited company

montonaught

Hello,

I'm a contractor with a limited company. Myself and my wife have recently hired a live-out nanny to look after our two small kids - this was an attempt to cut down on creche fees.

The nanny will also do some bookkeeping for the company. I am considering paying her salary through the limited company (salary = €300/week) but wondering what the risks would be.

Any advice?

If she is legitamately working for the company, and officially on the payroll, with all PAYE/USC requirements met, then there should be no issues of concern. I have seen this done egularly in respect of family members. However, a practising accountant would be in a better position to advise on any other issues you would need to cover.

If part of what you are paying her relates to a non-business purpose then you have not got a deduction for that as a wage cost, what you actually have is a BIK for the directors, and additional tax / PRSI on them in that regard.

It also seems a bit legally grey from an employment law and insurance point of view, a company (whose business is not the minding of children) paying someone to mind children, presumably in the home of another employee (the directors)... it could all get messy.