paying a labourer minimum wage - legal?

house

Hi all,

I hope to start my home by self build method later in the year, im a handy at alot of trades, so i hope to do the bulk of the work myself. However not all work can be done on my own and from time to time i may need a extra pair of hands.
My question is - if i pay someone mimium wage in cash for on/off work am i breaking any laws?
Back a few years ago minimum wage meant no paye tax etc but im not sure have things changed?

Thanks

Hmmm ... it was never that simple a few years ago!

Why not get contractors* in ? Simpler and easier from an admin point of view.

*Make sure you know the difference between employees and contractors though ... ...

You need to register as an employer amd have employer's and public liability insurance on the site.

Minimum wage never meant no tax or other deductions as they would be governed by an individual's tax credits and PRSI class. Even if there are no deductions, employer registration is required for recording and returning insurable weeks, employer's PRSI, etc

If you pay wages you are an employer and have lots of duties.
You need to ensure you have correct insurance.
You need to ensure the person and yourself of course have a valid safe pass card.
It is ilegal ( under some part of construction regulations)to do construction work in the republic without having a valid safe pass card.

Even if you are not an employer you have lots of health and safety obligations.
If you are providing the materials etc, I suspect you may be considered a Client under the 2006 Construction regulations and that also carries a lot of duties.

Of course i am sure some unemployed person on the dole would be happy to do some work for you, if you pay cash. Lots of very good workers on the dole!!!

oh yes, the minimum wage for construction workers is much more than the minimum wage as we know it.