PAYE worker and registered business name

MrsBrown

Not sure if I have posted this in the right place.

I am a full time PAYE employee and have been for the past 15 years or so. I recently registered a business name with CRO as I do teaching for a few hours on a Saturday morning in the community. The money I get paid goes directly to pay for the room hire in a community centre and on supplies like books/stationary, nothing else is left over. I just registered the business name so that I could separate out the bank accounts. Students pay into my “business” bank account rather than my personal bank account. I don’t take any wages out of it and I don’t hire any staff. What obligation do I have from a revenue point of view, do I have to file a return for the business name as zero income, zero tax? Are my PAYE tax credits effected by this?

There is a chance I will get made redundant from my PAYE job. There are rumours that there will be staff cuts before the end of the year. If I was made redundant would I be entitled to job seekers benefit or would they look at the registered business name and decide I am a sole trader?

Its alot of questions, really appreciate any feedback. I am afraid to approach revenue directly.

The teaching work should not affect your job seekers benefit as you do this above and beyond your regular 5 day week job.
However if you are applying for job seekers benefit you would need to explain very clearly (perhaps in writing) to SW that you are available for full time work and have been, and hope to continue the Saturday work also.

Nothing to be afraid of in approaching revenue for guidance. I have always found them to be very helpful and courteous

Last edited:
Back