PAYE employee with a private PRSA - tax return help?

Bluelines

I'm a PAYE employee. I don't have a pension with my company, so I just opened a Zurich PRSA myself and made a lump sum contribution.

I've no idea how to go about claiming tax relief for 2020 on that contribution. As a PAYE employee should I be using a form 11 or a form 12? The form 12 on my revenue.ie account gives me the option to claim credits for a PRSA or AVC, but it's forcing me to choose an employer with whom the policy is held ("Employment where your Superannuation Fund is held"). My pension is private, not with my employer. Any ideas how to proceed? I'm clueless and panicking a small bit!

There is a useful post here, its quite easy to do on My Account.

These guides refer to AVC but just select PRSA from the onscreen menu.

There is a useful post here, its quite easy to do on My Account.

These guides refer to AVC but just select PRSA from the onscreen menu.
Thanks. It looks straight forward enough, but for the option that asks me to choose "Employment where your Superannuation Fund is held", do I choose my employer, even though the my Pension isn't through them?

04A69F0A-D17F-4679-A888-3D767DDCB73B.jpeg
The PRSA menu should look something like this. If you’ve paid it personally then select the PRSA 1 cert option. That should grey out the ER reference just below. They ask the ER question as any ER contributions paid to a PRSA are taken into account for the age related limits.

Not sure why, but mine is different. When I select either PRSA 1 or PRSA 1 (Net Pay), the employers still isn't greyed out. It still has an asterisk beside it and is a mandatory field.

I've been on the PAYE customer query line with 3 different people who gave me 3 different answers to my question.

Regarding the question of what to put in the "Employment related to your PRSA" field, 1 person (unconvincingly) told me to use the employer I was with in 2020, the other 2 didn't know. Asking whether to put it down as an AVC or a PRSA, 1 person said AVC, 2 said PRSA. I also asked if I can include TWSS payments in the relief claim, none of them knew.

If their own staff don't know, how to hell are the rest of us meant to know these things o_O

I messaged them through the revenue webpage, so at least whatever I get from them will be in writing. Whether I get a reply before the tax deadline is another matter.

Not sure why, but mine is different. When I select either PRSA 1 or PRSA 1 (Net Pay), the employers still isn't greyed out. It still has an asterisk beside it and is a mandatory field.

I wonder whether "employment(s) related to your PRSA" could be interpreted as the employment you earned the income from, that you are seeking tax relief for, if you follow me. In which case you could legitimately put your employer here.

I wonder whether "employment(s) related to your PRSA" could be interpreted as the employment you earned the income from, that you are seeking tax relief for, if you follow me. In which case you could legitimately put your employer here.
That's my feeling now too, but trying to get confirmation of that from revenue has been impossible so far. Hopefully they reply to written queries quickly so at least I'll have something in writing.

Failing that before the deadline, is there anywhere you can enter an Expression of Doubt? It could give you an opportunity to explain any rationale for entering certain information, when completing return.

Failing that before the deadline, is there anywhere you can enter an Expression of Doubt? It could give you an opportunity to explain any rationale for entering certain information, when completing return.
Good call, I didn't think of that. I haven't gotten to the 'Declaration' page yet, as I'm going to wait and see if revenue get back to me before the 17th. If not, hopefully there's somewhere in the declaration section to put an expression of doubt in.

I have this same issue, when I select PRSA 1 Certificate as opposed to PRSA 1 Certificat Net pay it doesn't grey out the Employer info request, anyone know how to proceed? Pity Bluelines didn't update his thread with a resolution.

Back