Pay Day Loans

dewdrop

Recently heard on U.K. radio much adverse comment on pay day loans, an import from the U.S. It seems the APR can run to over 1000%. while a once off temporary loan might be OK i wonder if the authorities here have issued any warnings regarding what can happen if a person has to rollover such loans.

I can't imainge any court in this courty would enforce a loan with the amount owed trippes every day

In reply to JHegarty I agree a court here would unlikely enforce such a loan but a borrower runs the risk of a court judgment and subsequent damage to his credit rating.

I can't imainge any court in this courty would enforce a loan with the amount owed trippes every day

Why not?

If I choose to borrow money at an extortionate rate of interest and it is not illegal (e.g. there is a top limit to the interest rate a moneylender can apply) why on earth would a court not grant judgment if I default?

And if a court grants a judgment, a court will enforce it.

I appreciate that someone who chooses to, or by circumstances is "forced" , to borrow at these rates may not have real alternatives but it is not the case that a Court would not enforce these loans. Not unless they are actually illegal.

mf