Paving

Aimee

Paving - Garden Ideas required

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has laid anything similar to these -
[broken link removed]

Want to achieve a french type backyard and am looking for any ideas - had thought about maybe rough plastering the walls and giving it some kind of paint effect - or would building a brick wall inside existing wall be better??? Hoping to pave most of the back yard and keep one section of grass in middle, with shed and oil tank to one side and a built in BBQ at other side (on paving)! Thats another thing, have to find out about building a BBQ

Any garden ideas would be great! Excuse the pun but I am "green" to this so any ideas or info available would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Roadstone do Bradstone paving slabs.
I did a back patio and built a little wall with Bradstone bricks.
It worked out to be very expensive in the end but did look nice

CharlieC said:
Roadstone do Bradstone paving slabs.
I did a back patio and built a little wall with Bradstone bricks.
It worked out to be very expensive in the end but did look nice

if you don't mind me asking, when you say expensive - approx what figure are we talking??

I think it cost about3.5k for an average semi
If you go to roadstone.ie they give the measurements of the slabs
Download consumer brochure
You need to calculate the number of slabs you need.
I remember Roadstone charged by the slab

You will also need to budget for Hardcore and sand and delivery
Also it is a labour intensive job, dig out existing space, lay hardcore, lay sand and then slabs. Depending on size of garden it would be probably a two person job, so budget for that as well, if getting somebody in

at the moment our builders are waiting for us to tell them how to layout the garden i.e area for patio, area for lawn etc - is there anything they could do at this time to save us money for when we need to lay the patio, by any chance ????

Defo, put in ducting at least for future outdoor lighting and power. Costs very little to put in when there's an excavator on the site but saves a lot of work and money later, be sure to put in ropes to allow cables to be pulled in later.

Hi Aimee,

The weatherdale paving and madoc and mountain walling look gorgeous in those photos but expensive looking also.

Have you had a read thru www.pavingexpert.com to see if you get any advice there. Many AAM contributors have found it good.

Thanks guys for the above. Had thought of the electrics alright and they are in place, but again in relation to the prep for laying of flags and the like, what should they do???? Suppose they will know anyway but just in case anyone can fill me in so I kinda look like what I am talking about

Also anyone recommend / not - pepple for the front garden - I'm thinking maybe that would be nice on the drive but then I am thinking of dragging them in all over the timber floors!! Any experiences??

Aimee said:
Also anyone recommend / not - pepple for the front garden - I'm thinking maybe that would be nice on the drive but then I am thinking of dragging them in all over the timber floors!! Any experiences??

Hi Aimee,

There is some discussion both plus and minus on this topic here.

sueellen said:
Hi Aimee,

There is some discussion both plus and minus on this topic here.

Thanks a mill sueellen, that helped alot! Off to talk to hubby and builders - think I have some ideas! Don't want them getting bored now!