Paving/Cobblelock Driveway

lexus

Hi all, would anyone have a rough idea how much it would be to cobbel a normal sized driveway (barely enough to squash in 2 cars) please?

thanks a million

There are many previous threads on driveways and you might find approx costs if you have a read through them.

Be sure that you want cobblelock also as its high maintenance. If I had my way over I wouldn't bother. It looks very nice when clean but between moss etc. the cleaning can be a pain every few years and its not an easy job. Other threads have discussed this also.

We paid about 5K cash for a slightly bigger driveway a year ago - fit 3 cars and included some landscaping

Wouldn't touch cobblelock. Looks awful after a year or two unless you keep it clean and are prepared for weeds to appear. I know people say if it is done right weeds won't appear but I have yet to see one without weedsl. Take a look around your locality and see if you like the look of the drives that are at least two or three years old. I would stick with tarmac - if done well will last for years. You can get special tarmac paint too so it can be touched up whenever you wish. Save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a GOOD cobblelock paving contractor please? We're in north dublin, and have enough of cowboys and timewasters. If anyone has any recommendations, we'd be very grateful, thank you.

As an alternative to cobblelock, with far less maintenance and a cheaper install cost, i'd recommend pattern imprinted concrete.

We just had my mother-in-law's driveway done and the result is fantastic. After much deliberation and fact-finding we went with a company called Procrete (northside based). Their price was good, not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive. We checked references as well, which was the deciding factor in the end. They were booked up 3-month's in advance, which I guess is also a good sign.

Thanks for that, we've already tried them, but they never showed up for any of their appointments with us (or return phonecalls), and we're waiting for them since July now, so we're looking for someone else.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a GOOD cobblelock paving contractor please? We're in north dublin, and have enough of cowboys and timewasters. If anyone has any recommendations, we'd be very grateful, thank you.

Hi Sonny,

Welcome to AAM.

I think there are some recommendations in the key post on Paving Contractors.

Hi Lexus,

Sounds about the same size as ours. We were charged €6k which also included a wall and about 7m2 of concrete down the side of the house. Paveway Paving did the job and had it finished within 3 days, would certainly recommend. Without the wall and concrete you should get it for 4.5k

We went with Pattern Imprinted Concrete (the stencil version) because it was costing a fortune to remove our concrete driveway and get paving laid. They were able to put it on over the concrete that was already on the driveway and it looks fab. I think it's identical to cobblelock and it cost us just under €2k. Our driveway fits 2 cars (at a squeeze!!) - no clue of measurements sorry!

The crowd we used are based in Wicklow but I'd say they do work in Dublin as well. Here's their website [broken link removed]

I've see this done & it looks really good - however won't they require some recoating/painting after a few years to revilatise its appearance?

ninsaga

I've see this done & it looks really good - however won't they require some recoating/painting after a few years to revilatise its appearance?

ninsaga

if you do it right then no, just resealing every 2-5yrs depending on wear
15 yrs putting this type of finish down in australia/new zealand where most of this product gets imported from

Last edited by a moderator:

ninsaga

Yeah we were told that to keep the concrete looking "good as new" it would need to be resealed every 3 - 5 years. They left us a fridge magnet (!) with care instructions and said they'll give us a call when it's due for resealing. It snowed here a little yesterday and the only place it didn't stick to was the driveway! I'm assuming that's good (I hope!)

Hi just found your post from 2007 just wondering how the paving you had done has held up? just i am thinking of getting driveway done, have no probs finding driveways that have just been done but just wondered are you still happy with the job, does it still look the same as when you got it done?just people keep telling me if i get the wrong people to do it it will sink. Thanks in advance for your advice

Am interested in this too as thinking of getting my garden dug up and cobblelock put down. Am in a terrace house and it is a pain to keep getting out the lawnmower for a postage stamp piece of grass. Am not to mad about the concrete stuff, saw one and it was all black and shiny and oily looking, reminded me of lumps of coal.

Hi MandaC

Why don't you plant the lawn area? You could use some nice largeish beach stones with the plants/small trees/shrubs.

This will also help to define your boundary from the pathway/neighbour?

Marion

Was quoted 4k for a 60 sqm drive, tobermore stone. Price includes removal of a pillar and construction of 2 small pillars. this sound reasonable?

Back