Paternity leave

B

Big Daddy

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for my query but here goes :

My wife is expecting our third child next November, she's a full time mother / housewife . I work full time.
Am I entitled to paternity leave with or without pay ?
Where could I get more information on this ?
I am not a member of a trade union and my employer has made it clear that I'm not entitled to any leave what so ever !
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats - It is worrying that your employer is misleading you so badly. You are entitled to 14 weeks unpaid leave for each child under the age of 5 - See for more details.

Paternal leave

Thanks for reply Rainyday.......great link

Paternal leave

It might be worth clarifying that there is no legal entitlement to Paternal Leave. A lot of people get it mixed up with Parental Leave.

Paternal Leave can be granted at/around the time of the birth, usually for a few days, and is up to the employer.

Either parent can avail of Parental Leave and this is in addition to the mother's obvious entitlement to Maternity Leave

Re: Paternal leave

It might be worth clarifying that there is no legal entitlement to Paternal Leave. A lot of people get it mixed up with Parental Leave.
I think there is a bit of a mix-up here. I guess one of these meant to read 'paternity leave'.

pats!

Parental leave (ralating to a parent) = legal entitlement
Paternal leave (relating to a father) = at the discretion of the company..

oops

Oh dear, I read your message rainyday, and wondered how I had missed the spelling error. I checked it at least once before posting too...

Back