Paternity benefit Query!

masterboy123

I am a male and in the process of changing my job next month. Our baby is also due next month and there maybe 2 weeks of gap between my jobs, so essentially I maybe jobless for 2 weeks.
Can I avail of 2 weeks paternity benefit while jobless?

Also, are there are any other paid leaves available for fathers?

Thank you.

You can only receive Paternity Benefit if you are on Paternity Leave. If you want the Paternity Benefit to cover the 2 weeks before you start your new job, then you would need to ensure that you take Paternity Leave from your previous employer.

Alternatively, you can take Paternity Leave from your new position (Paternity Leave can be applied for at any stage up to 26 weeks after the birth). However, this way you will not receive any payment for the 2 week gap, and the 2 weeks' paid Paternity Benefit will probably not be as much as your wages in the new job.

Here is the info on Paternity Leave, including notice periods required to be given to employers https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...tions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Thank you. A colleague told me we are entitled for extra +1 week if baby is born after 2019. But I am unable to find this info.
Any idea what this benefit is called?

Also, could I apply for job seekers allowance for those 2-3 weeks?

You can only receive Paternity Benefit if you are on Paternity Leave. If you want the Paternity Benefit to cover the 2 weeks before you start your new job, then you would need to ensure that you take Paternity Leave from your previous employer.

Alternatively, you can take Paternity Leave from your new position (Paternity Leave can be applied for at any stage up to 26 weeks after the birth). However, this way you will not receive any payment for the 2 week gap, and the 2 weeks' paid Paternity Benefit will probably not be as much as your wages in the new job.

Here is the info on Paternity Leave, including notice periods required to be given to employers https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...tions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Thank you. A colleague told me we are entitled for extra +1 week if baby is born after 2019. But I am unable to find this info.
Any idea what this benefit is called?

No. Because aren't seeking a job. You have a job and whatever way you've worked it you've got a gap in between them. Why should the rest of the country pay for your time-off. (that's what paternity leave is for and you dont have that option presently).

In addition to Paternity Benefit, one can also apply for Parents Benefit - this entitles you to 2 weeks paid leave in the first year of your childs life. You must be in employment to claim Parents Benefit.

Strictly speaking you can, but you need to show that you are available and looking for full-time work. You are also likely to get disqualified from Jobseekers for up to 9 weeks because you voluntarily left a job. So this could be difficult and/or pointless.

However, its not completely impossible. For example, if your current job is ending because you were being made redundant, or your contract was ending or something like that, then you could claim Jobseekers for the short period of unemployment. You would have to be looking for work in that period.

The other alternative is if your partner/spouse is on a social welfare payment, eg Maternity Benefit. It may be that she could claim for you for the short period between your jobs. Maternity Benefit is normally paid at a flat rate of 240/week. However, if she has a partner and children, she is entitled to the rate of Illness Benefit that would apply to her circumstances, if this is more than the Maternity Benefit. Lets say she has an entitlement to the maximum rate of Illness Benefit (350 for the couple, plus increase for any children), then she could be entitled to the difference between the two payments for the short period. One word of caution though, this is messy and could take some time for them to implement the change, and to switch it back after the period ends. There are also circumstances that could mean that she is not entitled to the maximum rate, due to her earnings in the relevant year.

Thank you.

I will not have a job as my contract ends and the new job starts after 2-3 weeks only due to the fact that there is a person in that position already and their contract is not expiring at the same time as mine.
So where is my mistake in this instance?

No. Because aren't seeking a job. You have a job and whatever way you've worked it you've got a gap in between them. Why should the rest of the country pay for your time-off. (that's what paternity leave is for and you dont have that option presently).

Thank you for informing me about Parents benefit.

Do I have to be in employment to claim Paternity Benefit?

In addition to Paternity Benefit, one can also apply for Parents Benefit - this entitles you to 2 weeks paid leave in the first year of your childs life. You must be in employment to claim Parents Benefit.

Thank you.

I will not have a job as my contract ends and the new job starts after 2-3 weeks only due to the fact that there is a person in that position already and their contract is not expiring at the same time as mine.
The unfortunate gap unfortunately!

Thank you.

How did the contract end? Was it a fixed term contract? Why was it not renewed? If it was your decision to end the first job, you will have difficulty getting Jobseekers, but if this was a decision taken by your employer, then you can apply for Jobseekers, as long as you are looking for work in the short period (its unlikely they will pay much scrutiny in such a small period, but you need to ensure that you state on the form that you are looking for full-time work)

Yes, it was fixed 2-year contract and they don't need me anymore. I have secured another full time job and trying my best to back date it, but HR says it is unlikely they will back date my pay and contract.

How did the contract end? Was it a fixed term contract? Why was it not renewed? If it was your decision to end the first job, you will have difficulty getting Jobseekers, but if this was a decision taken by your employer, then you can apply for Jobseekers, as long as you are looking for work in the short period (its unlikely they will pay much scrutiny in such a small period, but you need to ensure that you state on the form that you are looking for full-time work)

Yes, it was fixed 2-year contract and they don't need me anymore. I have secured another full time job and trying my best to back date it, but HR says it is unlikely they will back date my pay and contract.
In this case you should be able to apply for Jobseekers, provided you are available for and looking for work in the short interim period. At the initial stages of a Jobseekers claim, this involves ticking a box to say that you are. Further scrutiny is unlikely within the timeframe indicated.

You may already be aware that if you have been employed for 2 years, and your position is now gone, you would also be entitled to a redundancy payment.

Back