Pat Kenny and the Frontline audience member

DOB may be due to a minimum age to take part. But it's more likely to ensure they have a spread of demographics in the audience as already suggested.

You seem to be looking for problems with the form. If you don't want to give your real date of birth, change it by a few days. I'm sure they won't ask to see your birth certificate.

Is RTÉ solely funded through licence fees and advertising? They get no funding from the taxpayers?

This is true, RTE gets no funding other than advertising and the license fee. I cant quote the actual law, but I have been told by someone who works in RTE that this is stipulated in law, that the governement cannot give RTE money

Also, the entire cost of changing the country from analog to digital TV is being funded by RTE out of their revenue and not by the government, which explans where all the profits from RTE have gone to in the boom years.

Lots of information about RTE revenue and what they spend it on ( including the orchestras, choir etc) can be found in the annual report, on www.rte.ie

This is true, RTE gets no funding other than advertising and the license fee. I cant quote the actual law, but I have been told by someone who works in RTE that this is stipulated in law, that the governement cannot give RTE money
Thanks for that.
In that case, it doesn't concern me what wages Pat Kenny is on. Indeed, the more the better, because he'll end up paying more tax. It's not my money.

Not exactly true since the Government give RTE the proceeds of the license fee every year and get to set the price so technically the Government can give RTE as much money as they want. We just have to pay it in the form of the license fee. The license fee is colleced on behalf of the Minister, not RTE.

Yes, Sunny that is one way of putting it. By the way, I am not defending RTE, just answering a question that RTE gets no direct government funding from tax take, other than the license fee.

The license fee is a tax on owning a TV. Its as much as a tax as e.g. car tax. It is mandated by the Government. So to say that RTE gets no money from the Government is incorrect. Anyway, isnt it collected by the Government (An Post) and then handed to RTE.

TV license should be abolished.

+1

There will be a lot of families struggling to pay the licence fee, which IMHO goes towards mad salaries for a bunch of mediocre presenters.

There's an idea for a new Irish reality TV show - a competition to find some interesting, clever, informed people to take over from Kenny, Ryan et al for a fraction of the salary.

I honestly can't fathom what anyone finds good or interesting about Gerry Ryan! I think he's awful and is not worth a fraction of what he earns.

All the best Irish presenters are in the UK.

TV license should be abolished.
TV licence should only be abolished if RTÉ is either abolished or RTÉ is not funded through taxes.
As it stands, I have a choice whether or not to fund Pat kenny's salary.

RTÉ should not be funded by the tax payer.

+1

There will be a lot of families struggling to pay the licence fee, which IMHO goes towards mad salaries for a bunch of mediocre presenters.

IMHO if they can't afford a TV Licence, then they shouldn't be able to afford a tv and whatever service provider the subscribe to.

So today the papers have it this gentleman is a racist with convictions...
Good PR for the show though.

I'm not a fan of Pat Kenny but I don't think the personal attack should have been broadcast.

Pat costs me less than €1 per year from the licence fee and I think I get value for that.