Password protecting an MS Word Document

BlueSpud

Hi, I am trying to password protect a Word 2002 document, & follow the instructions; Tools-> Options -> Security. Here I enter a password in the "Password to Open:" box, and am prompted to reenter it and click okay, whic I do. However, wnen I close & reopen the document, I am not asked for a password. Any Ideas what I may be doing wrong?

After entering the password in the two boxes, one to specify and one to confirm, and you close down , do you get another pop up box asking again for the password? I do when I tried it, when I closed it down and opened it again, it asked me for a password

This doesn't work if you don't save, after setting the password, before closing the document

I'm not sure of this as I never tried it myself but I was once told that you can open password protected documents in "Notepad" or other such applications. So don't depend on passwords to protect confidential stuff.

You can open the password protected document in Notepad but the content is encrypted

Yup, done the save prior to closing etc. Tried the 'Password to Midify:' and the behaviour is the same. It looks like it should prompt for the p/w but it does not. I have used similar protection on xcel files without problems. I will try this on someone elses PC and see how I get on.

BlueSpud said:
Yup, done the save prior to closing etc. Tried the 'Password to Mo:' and the behaviour is the same. It looks like it should prompt for the p/w but it does not. I have used similar protection on xcel files without problems. I will try this on someone elses PC and see how I get on.

Are you sure you are saving as a Word document and not some other format? Passwords are only applicable to Word format documents.

Back