Password Protect Excel 2000 spreadsheet

ISBN

Hi, as the title suggests - is this possible? i have checked on the web and the tab it is directing me to does not seem to exist. Help!

What are you trying to protect? Unauthorised changing of the document, unauthorised viewing of the document, something else? I suspect that password protection will only protect from unauthorised changing, but not viewing, the spreadsheet. I don't have Excel handy to test this. Also, it may be possible to bypass password protection easily possibly even by opening the spreadsheet in OpenOffice or the like.

I tested this, you can save the spreadsheet with both the password to open and password to modify using the keystroke above. In addition Open office wont allow you to open a password protected Excel file

Under general options, there is no password to open option! i'm trying to protect the spreadsheet from unauthorised access. thanks.

You sure you are going 'File \ Save As \ Tools \ general options'?

What version of Excel are you using?

Excel 2000 according to the title. Make sure that the Excel menus are not abbreviated/collapsed - if there's a little down arrow symbol near the end of the menu click on it to expand the menu to the full set of options.

Thanks for testing that stuff stobear! :)

Yeah, definitely. Have done File/Save As - then gone to tools menu. there is no 'General Options' - have clicked options and the choices are View, Calculation, Edit, General, Colour, Chart, Custom List and Transistion. Under the General option tab, there is no option to password protect. Prob something so simple but unfortunately i'm not a computer buff!

Ah i see what you are seeing!

Go back to this menu and select security, in there are the options you need!

ISBN,

Go to File - Save As

Now on this window (the Save As dialog box), on the top right you will see Tools. It's on this dropdown menu that you will see General Options.

That's where you can set a password.

Don't go to the Tools menu in the Excel program itself.

It's on the Save As window.

On my version of Excel (and ISBN's I suspect) there is a security tab under 'Tools \ Options' from the main toolbar menu at the top, password protection can be activtaed here as well as the 'Save As' option

Hi, thanks everyone for your help. Under the Tools, protection option afaik this only protects the structure here and does not allow you to set a password to open option. On Excel 2002, you can do it from here. Think i finally have it done under File/save as/general options (in save as)

thanks everyone!

Back