Password Manager

techman

Hello,

Anyone using a password manager program?

Googled "Password Manger". Got loads such as roboform.com. mypassword manager etc.

Can anyone recommend they are using or have used?

Need something to remember usernames, passwords, login details etc.

techman.

I tried a couple of these over the years, had more problems then they were worth, found a solution, use gmail, keep it open as a tab in firefox, mail yourself the password in the body of the mail e.g. if you sign up for askaboutmoney mail your self your username and password and the text "askaboutmoney password" if you want to retrieve use gmail search facility which is very fast and search for "askaboutmoney password",
Works for me anyway.

I used a website called znail - http://www.znail.com - to keep track of this type of thing. I just created a 'znail note' and stuck cryptic details in so that it's not immediately obvious what the password is. The main advantages for me are that it is free, quick, and very light-weight in terms of loading up. Takes me a few seconds to retrieve any password (assuming I have remembered to record it first).

z

Hi Car,

I do something similar, but am spooked at the way gmail "reads" your mails and targets the ads accordingly. The way I get around this is to write the emails as gaeilge (ie ceist faoi airgead pas fochail....).

aj

Another option is to download an install a password manager on your (Java JME enabled) phone. Of course you might want to keep your phone/SIM memory backed up though. See this post for tips on where to look.

Hi Aj,
I do same, not in Irish though, I have a secure password key that I use for practically everything so I can easily remember, its 8 digits made up of numbers, letters and characters but I also tag on letters so for AAm it might be something like 1234ABC~ but would tag on an A on the end for my AAM password.
When storing the password in gmail I would just say <PASS>"A" where only I would know what <PASS> is.

I use Agatra www.agatra.com having searched for months for something like this and tried a few duds.

Online encrypted password storage. You put in your login stuff for your sites and it keeps the list. All you need to remember is one password - the one that gets you access to your list!! It will even log you straight through to the destination site if's its a well-known one e.g. epinions.com or hotmail.com.

Don't know if I'd trust my online banking details to it but its great for routine stuff. It's free!