Password for Windows Vista

Willowchase

Hi, I hope someone has an answer to this.

I installed windows Vista on my laptop and, as the process was going to last for several hours, I decided tro let it install overnight.

The installation was successful or so I thought until I added a further user account. When I tried to log back in as administrator the system requested a password. Obviously during the process of installing the operating system it allocated a password without requiring any user input. I am now restricted to minimal accesss to the computer.

Has anyone come across this problem or does anyone know if Windows allocates some standard password in these circumstances?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't really fancy installing the system again, though this may be the only option I have.

does the account you created during setup not have admin rights? I can't see the sense in what you are saying

does the account you created during setup not have admin rights? I can't see the sense in what you are saying

As I advised in my original post I let Vista to install itself unaided overnight without any user input. Thats why I can't understand how it created an administrator account including a password without any intervention from me.

When I got up in the morning the system had installed and was ready to run. I was not asked to set up an account or password. Although theoretically logged in as administrator there were restrictions on my access when I tried to perform certain administrative functions, with messages to the effect that I needed to be logged on as 'Local Administrator'.

This is what prompted me to set up a user account, reboot and log on as administrator on the assumption that that would resolve the matter. Unfortunately I could not log on, except as a user, as the system requested a password to log on as administrator!!

I know it's odd but I hope I've explained the situation a little better.

Unfortunately, depending on what I want to do, the system requests the Administrators password. The tips on the website also require the Admin password.

As my files were already backed up prior to installing Vista I think, at this stage, my best option is to do a clean install. I would be reluctant to purchase software which may or may not work. I guess I'll just have to make time available to watch over the install process this time.

Thanks for your help.

it doesnt make sense that windows makes up an administrator password and not tell you. if you can't remember it, then, yes a clean install is the way to go

it doesnt make sense that windows makes up an administrator password and not tell you. if you can't remember it, then, yes a clean install is the way to go

I know it doesn't make sense, that's why I'm at a loss. My memory I agree is not the best, but, if I had purposefully set a password, I would certainly remember it less than an hour later. The only thing I did consider was that when I went to the pc that morning the screen had gone blank so I did press the return key to activate it. On this basis if the system had been waiting for me to enter a password, the password would have been blank. unfortunately entering a blank password does not work.

I have been using computers, buying, building and using fsince the mid 80's when I purchased a Dragon 32 and I have never come across a situation like this. Thats why I'm flumoxed, as Spock would say it's not logical, but it seems to have happened.

Did you try just leaving the password blank and hitting enter ?

Hi paddyc. I did. I also tried entering the computername, including the network name, location, you name it. I also tried various single keypresses on the offchance that an inadvertent keypress would have set the password though I'm fairly sure I made no such keypresses.

Not to worry, I've lost nothing but some time and I will re-install the system and keep a close eye on it.