Passports & USA

Cantona7

Hi
Where can I find info on type of Irish passports that are acceptable for entry to the USA. Someone told me that the new type passport are the only ones being accepted.ie those issued post 1998.. Family are travelling over in dec and just want to be sure we're ok as some of our passports are 8 yrs old.
thanks
C7

I recently travelled to the US on a passport that was issued in 1997. So I think you should have no problems.

You do have to provide personal details in advance via your airline and the US emmigration authorities do fingerprint you on departure.

It just has to be computer readable. There should be a magnetic strip on your details page of the passport

The requirements now are that passports must have a digital picture and some type of ID chip but your old passport will be still accepted. I think that all passports issued after a certain date (October 2005, I think) must have these features. The only other thing is that it must be machine readable and children must travel on their own passport.

Back