passport

• Thread starter gordongekko
  • Start date
G

gordongekko

Somebody earlier today was wondering about getting a British passport. I asked the question why would you want a British passport and the post was deleted, however after I posted the question I realised how it sounded and what I meant to ask was what are the advantages and disadvantages of duel citizenship . Any ideas?

I have Irish, British and Swiss citizenship.

There are probably more Irish Bars around the world than Embassies! :)

When living in a country where Irish facilities are not available, we use either the British passport or the Swiss one to register with the Embassy, which affords a certain amount of protection / information in case of emergency.

In the 'dry' countries in the Middle East the Embassies hold lots of cocktail parties and BBQ's where wine etc. brought in in diplomatic bags is freely available to those who would otherwise be deprived!

There are also certain countries where, if you are the holder of a British passport, a visa is not required.

You also have certain rights of citizenship, duties and entitlements which vary from country to country.

Permanent emigration to UK Commonwealth countries can be easier if you hold a British passport. I'm eligible for a British passport but have never bothered applying.

In countries where Ireland doesn't have an embassy or consulate, a British embassy will often provide emergency services to Irish citizens. I don't know how formalised this is.

hundreds if not thousands of children born to Louth/Monaghan parents in Newry would also have this entitlent if so desired (including my two)

I was born in England, but have lived in Ireland (with my Irish Mum and English Dad) since I was 2. Never got a UK passport.

However, I would havew been entitled to free healthcare in Australia had I entered the country on a UK passport, and regretted not getting it for that.

In saying that, I would never have chosen to travel with a UK passport. Not for any other motive than potential hassle at borders. The Irish are "fun" and possibly "slightly mad and drink too much", but I think UK passports get more scrutiny.

sun_sparks said:
In saying that, I would never have chosen to travel with a UK passport. Not for any other motive than potential hassle at borders. The Irish are "fun" and possibly "slightly mad and drink too much", but I think UK passports get more scrutiny.

I find that attitude strange. I am entitled to and have held both Irish and Uk but as I was living in the UK at the time I last needed to apply for a passport that was the one I went for and have never bothered with an Irish one since. I have travelled to many places on a UK passport and have never had any problems or hassle at borders. My Other Half was born in the North so has always had both and says he has never experienced any difference either. I know of a few dual passport holders who keep their UK one purely so if they are very ill they believe they can get free treatment on the NHS but it's not a theory I would want to wait to try out!

A friend of mine qualified for both and Irish and UK passport and got the latter because it was cheaper and he was skint. It's surprising the number of people who got worked up about this.

Think its more expensive for a british passport now. last year the irish passport office collected €39m and made a profit of €29m. nice percentage.

Don't think so. [broken link removed] < (adult 10 year passport in both cases) at the time of writing.

But look at the prices on the British Embassy website:eek:

Passport Type

w.e.f 22 May 2006
Standard 10 Year passport (32 pages)
€ 142
Jumbo 10 Year passport (48 pages) NB: not until early 2007
€ 169
Child (under 16) 5 Year passport (32 pages)
€ 92
Amendment of existing passport (e.g. name change, new photograph)
€ 118

Passports from embassies always cost more.

Personally I would like to have a second passport, just in case I ever got fed up of this country and wanted to go elsewhere and not be an Irish citizen anymore. Israel is the most promising so far.

Do any other countries sell passports to foreigners like we used to for about IR£1M?

Yes, quite a few of the carribean countries do. St. Kitts and Nevis is a good one. See [broken link removed]
An application results in citizenship for one family (applicant, spouse and two unmarried dependant children). In addition to standard documentary requirements (passports, birth and marriage certificates, police clearance, etc.) it is necessary that the applicant makes a contribution to the Government of St. Kitts & Nevis, which takes the form of a non-refundable cash payment of US$ 35,000 for a single applicant plus US$ 15,000 for each dependent. In addition, there are due diligence and application fees which vary depending on the number of persons to be included in an application. Furthermore, the applicant must invest in designated real estate. To qualify for citizenship of St. Kitts & Nevis, the Government requires an investment in real estate of at least US$ 250,000.

There is an Irish based crowd that seem to offer this. [broken link removed]

Back