passport valid until July, travel majorca May - need change now?

ssm

hi

can anyone help with this please.

travelling to Majorca in May, passport valid until July.

Will I be able to use my passport .... normally would apply for new one but bit concerned now re WTR in passport office.

thanks.

hi

can anyone help with this please.

travelling to Majorca in May, passport valid until July.

Will I be able to use my passport .... normally would apply for new one but bit concerned now re WTR in passport office.

thanks.

You need to check with your airline. Personally I think it's ridiculous that you can't use your passport until it expires but different carriers and countries are..well...different.

thanks for reply.

have emailed Spanish Embassy and Falcon

hopefully i can use it...really dont want to get caught up in the whole passport office thing!

You can always apply for a new one using passport express – the 10 day guarantee is no longer in effect, but the requirement that applicants submit their existing passport with their application for a new passport has been temporarily suspended in cases where the current passport has not yet fully expired. In such cases, customers should include a photocopy of the personal details pages of the current passport with their application for a new passport.

That way, you will still have your unexpired passport, & the chances are that you will have your new one by the time you travel.

You need to check with your airline. Personally I think it's ridiculous that you can't use your passport until it expires but different carriers and countries are..well...different.

thanks for reply.

have emailed Spanish Embassy and Falcon

hopefully i can use it...really don't want to get caught up in the whole passport office thing!
For travel within the EU, your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your trip. So long as it is in date the day you fly home you will be fine.

Travel agents often don't know this so they always err on the side of caution.

papercut....thanks very much for that reply. appreciate it.

just rang the Dept of Foreign Affairs and they said that for Majorca the passport just needs to be valid for the length of stay...I have 2 months to spare on current one.

In view of this I will hold off as some people do need theirs urgently and I now dont so wont clog up the system even more.

Thanks - do you have a source for the temporary relaxation of this rule? I can't find it on the passport.ie website.

thanks to everyone who replied.

Had an email from the Spanish Embassy this morning saying

"Irish passports are valid in Spain until the date of expiry written on the passport"

So I will wait until we get back to get a new one.

Thanks again.